+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Marco's cleaning process with new vinyl, using an RCM

I'm jamie.

i bought the lot from b&q,the pipe is approx 18mm by 12,i only use one pipe for cleaning and rinsing but i do change the felt end regularly,all i use are moth ones cut to size.
    i dont get a damp band as i always finish in the run off of the records

i basically adapt what this guy uses,it also has some good advice too . http://cleaningvinyllps.blogspot.co....right-way.html
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Marc.

what glue did you use to attach the moth felt to the end of the plastic tube (I can see the 'wrong' sort soaking through the velvet and making scratch-making hard bits) ?

that guy's blog is great btw - thanks for the link to that (the gem dandy gets a special mention ).
    Last edited by Slippershod; 04-03-2016 at 23:22.

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippershod View Post
    that guy's blog is great btw -
    hmmm, having skimmed through it (bit of a stream of consciousness to say the least) I'm getting close to giving up on cleaning again ... he robustly dismisses using alchohol ... shows a guy hand-cleaning with an expensive Monks fluid (I remember seeing this stuff before online) in a way that surely can't clean the record effectively (watch the youtube video); I mean, if that method does work, well... by gum ... ... doesn't explain his home-made vac. cleaner properly at all (i.e. photos or diagrams) - if you read the comments it finally becomes apparent that he's approximating his own version of the loricraft approach with cotton thread over the end of his vac's tube, but there's no clear illustration of exactly what he does (btw, Jaime, he does this to avoid contamination from felt pads etc - but then you say you change them frequently, which is fair enough...)

I guess it bugs me: there are folk like Jaime here who are resourceful and acute enough to go through stuff like this and work out a method of their own that's effective, but others (umm, me) could do with rather more transparent and coherent explanations. With some of these guys it's like they've been on a course that lets them excel in tantalising you with an 'answer' only to then hide it in obfuscation ... mind you, I'll get a pump sprayer at least, so I thank him for that

No - seriously, there's a lot of interesting / good stuff there. But also a lot of stuff that contradicts much of what others assert (in this very thread of course - particularly as regards the use of alcohol and the need for lab-grade water) ... what to do
    Last edited by Slippershod; 05-03-2016 at 00:48.

I'm Simon.

I think you're thinking too hard on everything (I do it myself sometimes!). Just get yourself a cheap vaccum RCM (be it 2nd hand or DIY project) or even get one on credit (I've ordered the Pro-ject on credit for 6 months at £40 a month which evens out the cost rather than lumping it all down in one go). Use 'The Right One' fluid (many people here recommend it so it can't be bad, eh?) and you're good to go.

In regards to using carbon brushes. I use a Milty and never had it scratch a record. Always hold it parallel to the grooves and apply the tiniest amount of pressure. After 1-2 rotations, gently sweep the brush away from the record in one swift motion.

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    I think you're thinking too hard on everything (I do it myself sometimes!).
    well... possibly. But something's odd in my experience of this activity, for sure.
    I went through Scott Nagle's 'record cleaning' section in his shop (Daytona on this site), and I've used almost every item of hardware / 'software' that he sells short of the Ultrasonic cleaners (not meaning I bought them from Scott or that this is a comment on his shop by the way: just an example to show the range of stuff I've tried!). Seriously.
    To have apparently failed with so much stuff where others succeed routinely is certainly puzzling, and explains why I'm trying to find that 'consensus' this time before getting too far in again...
    As far as Carbon Fibre brushes go, well .... you've seen my photo in this thread I imagine.
    Ironically as far as those go, is it possible 'good' technique is disguising the damage they can cause (I mean if you're making sure the filaments are aligned with the grooves and are careful in removing the brush)? Dunno - but I have evidence that the substance is capable of scratching vinyl whatever other variables there may be...

anyhow, Paul Stewart's posts in this thread are certainly authoritative and compelling, and maybe I should just go with that, and try and be more ... careful.

I'm Simon.

Hopefully will be having a go at cleaning some records soon with my new Pro-ject RCM.

I do have what may seem a bit of a silly question: What do folks here do with the goats hair brush (for application) once finished with a cleaning session? Obviously it'll have some fluid still on it and I would have thought cleaning it under the tap is a no-no. Rinse with distilled water? Leave to dry naturally without rinsing off the fluid?

I'm Grant.

I use a goat brush. Its specifically for wet use. I just use a micro fibre cloth. Laying the cloth on counter i just run the brush across it with the hairs so as not to damage it. Then it will dry quite quickly and stay nice n clean
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Simon.

Thanks Grant, sounds good to me. I suppose there shouldn't be too much fluid left on it anyway as long as the right amount is applied per side.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I use a goat brush. Its specifically for wet use. ...
    Like this one?

How do you pay him? Certain favours?

I'm Simon.

Another idiot question here: The Right One stuff is already diluted right? I've just tried cleaning my first LP and found it quite hard to distribute the fluid - or maybe I'm just not using enough. There's a very strong pure alcohol smell and it has me worried I've done it wrong already lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast