+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Marco's cleaning process with new vinyl, using an RCM

I'm Marc.

Default confusion

I appreciate the assertive and authoritative replies and advice above, and am certainly not trying to provoke and irritate, but given the large amount of dosh I have spent on this in the past (and it's rising again now, G** help me...) I'm still trying to reassure myself I've reached a clear conclusion:

this ebay seller of de-ionised water: is their product / process description relevant to what is suitable for cleaning / rinsing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DE-IONISED...25.m3641.l6368

I ask particularly as I've had a reply from the makers of the 'vinyl revival' cleaning set available on Amazon. I'd ordered a set of this before joining in with this thread and thinking more in terms of Paul's product: but what caught my eye is their admonition to avoid using distilled water.
    In asking why, I've been told the following:

"Distilled water will contain cations and anions ie. positive and negative charge, which in turn can result in static - the record player's enemy."

Does this imply that water needs de-ionising as well (you can tell I'm not a chemistry major, right ) ... ?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

De-ionised water is purer than distilled water. http://www.distilleddeionizedwater.c...stilled-water/
    Barry

I'm Gary.

Ultimately you need the purest water possible. So water that uses a combination of all the purification methods possible would be the best way. This is why I use laboratory water, it's the best that I have found.

I'm Marc.

thanks for info / opinion, Barry ... gosh, hard to find that elusive 'consensus' !! Do you use any purified water for this purpose yourself - and if so, source?

got some of the acpure stuff coming today, Gary - but now not clear - is it actually de-ionised?

Have failed to get any further elaboration from 'Vinyl Revival' (which I don't blame them for: it must be irksome trying to communicate with the scientifically illiterate, such as I), but as I mentioned above, what they did say seemed to imply that de-ionisation was important.

as such I was wondering about this stuff (I'll be able to open a swimming-pool at this rate):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2219649160...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

considerably less expensive than the other suppliers too...

I'm jamie.

Are you vacuum cleaning? If you are I wouldn't get too hung up on what water to use.
    I've used distilled and deionised water and both are fine
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Simon.

Still waiting on my goddamn Pro-ject RCM - apparently another 2 weeks wait for the next shipment, after already waiting 3 weeks...

I'm Marc.

no, not vacuuming.
    had a moth and loricraft in the past, and most records were none the better for their use - and I used any number of powders and potions. I also damaged a few records with the moth before I realised how careful you've got to be in keeping the nozzle felts clean with that design.
    I wont go that route again if I can get decent results with 'hand-washing' and rinsing.
    But, then, the photo Paul Stewart posted earlier of grooves 'before and after' using a loricraft (I think) is compelling, and so why I had such little joy with all my earlier efforts I'm not quite sure. Combination of things: naivety and being un-methodical in main, probably.

But then again: have you seen what the guy behind Merrill record players and accessories has to say about vac-cleaning - and he's got photos to prove it too...! (http://www.hifigem.com/hydraulic-lp-...ratusMKII.html)
    I went for his line a few years back and bought the MK1 cleaner (GEM dandy thing) ... and... found it no better Could have been the quality of my tap-water and my attempts to filter it being inadequate...

As you can see: I've been through the mill with this, to put it mildly, and this time I'm aiming to keep it as quiet, simple and 'cheap' as possible.
    Last edited by Slippershod; 04-03-2016 at 13:56.

I'm Grant.

Vacuuming is pretty essential as is good cleaner and brush...then its technique and practice.. Difference is astonishing to me and wouldnt be without my moth or similar machine. Alas they are not cheap to buy but if you look after it it will last a lifetime. Mine is 8 years old and still working perfect and still on original pads
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippershod View Post

As you can see: I've been through the mill with this, to put it mildly, and this time I'm aiming to keep it as quiet, simple and 'cheap' as possible.
    Have a look here for simple and cheap and excellent results. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...g-on-the-cheap
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Marc.

that is absolutely brilliant Jamie.

questions:

1) in the linked thread you say the pipe you use is kind of rectangular - which one do you mean, as neither look it in the photo?

2) as the pad around the end of the tube must be getting pretty soaked, how do you avoid it leaving dampness 'around' the vacummed area- this was a problem I had with my moth machine, where you'd end up with a damp 'band' across the record where you stop vacuuming... (I'm just wondering if you use more than one vacuuming set actually, as you change cleaning brushes between your two cycles?)

3) any chance you can supply more details for the parts you used?
    some people such as yourself have a real gift for this kind of thing and 'making it work' while others (like me) get bogged down in the detail and making wrong choices.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    Have a look here for simple and cheap and excellent results. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...g-on-the-cheap

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast