+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All this talk of head amps got me looking......

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I built a MC preamp some time ago using matched pairs of Mullard E88CC valves with DC heater supply. Beautiful liquid midrange, but obviously noisier than SUTs and SS preamps. In the end I replaced it with various SS devices.

Perhaps I should dig it out and see if it could be improved?
    Why not... I may even dig out mine and update it a bit! I may have problems with finding enough valves that are quiet enough now though
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Darren.

the phono stage in my AI S200 pre is all valve. uses 2 x ecc83 + 1 x ecc82 for the mm stage, and a further ecc83 for the mc. (is 88 the norm for this? or does 2 x 88 = 1 x 83?)

it is a bit noisy, but it's also seen of some very good competition.... i have a nice SUT to try with the mm stage now too, so i'll see how that goes

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by belloire View Post
    the phono stage in my AI S200 pre is all valve. uses 2 x ecc83 + 1 x ecc82 for the mm stage, and a further ecc83 for the mc. (is 88 the norm for this? or does 2 x 88 = 1 x 83?)

it is a bit noisy, but it's also seen of some very good competition.... i have a nice SUT to try with the mm stage now too, so i'll see how that goes
    An ECC83 is not a good idea for a head amp! It's far too noisy and has characteristics that just don't suit using it in such a way..... Are you sure there's no SUT? I'm certainly not saying it wouldn't work, just it would likely be very noisy even by valve head amp standards...

The ECC88 (6DJ8, 6922, E88CC) is by far the most popular valve for head amps. There are even better valves than the ECC88 but non that aren't very expensive and difficult to obtain.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Darren.

we thought the same, but can't see any transformers. it's most odd, and though it's a bit noisy, it's really good. i'm going to look for a low microphony 83 to replace the one that's in there, see if it makes a difference.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics
    An ECC83 is not a good idea for a head amp! It's far too noisy and has characteristics that just don't suit using it in such a way.....
    Am I understanding this wrongly, Jez? Isn't Darren saying that he uses ECC83s (together with 82s) in his phono stage, not his head amp? Certainly, that's what he appears to be saying here:

Quote Originally Posted by belloire
    the phono stage in my AI S200 pre is all valve. uses 2 x ecc83 + 1 x ecc82 for the mm stage, and a further ecc83 for the mc.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Am I understanding this wrongly, Jez? Isn't Darren saying that he uses ECC83s (together with 82s) in his phono stage, not his head amp? Certainly, that's what he appears to be saying here:

Marco.
    It seems to me that what is being described is an all valve phono stage with an internal MC head amp using ECC83's rather than an internal SUT... unless it's me that's misunderstanding it!? Maybe if Darren can be bothered to post some close up pics of the circuitry we can get to the bottom of this.. A ECC83 is a VERY bad choice for a MC head amp To the point that I'd be surprised if there is not more to the story here

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes, it's all rather confusing... ECC83s would indeed be a brutal choice of valve for a head amp, but not a phono stage. The two are separate entities - or not, in Darren's case!

Tune into next week's episode where all will be revealed....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Darren.

rather than not being bothered, i don't presently have a pic of the stage internals (if i can be bothered seems a little harsh, i only offered information!)

there are 2 versions of the S200, 1 with MM only, 1 with MC. the difference is the extra ecc83 and some bits, but the step up is all valve (i'm told).

i don't know anything about electronics in reality, but i do know the phono stage is very good, punching way beyond the £250 i paid for it as a passive preamp with a phono stage built in.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by belloire View Post
    rather than not being bothered, i don't presently have a pic of the stage internals (if i can be bothered seems a little harsh, i only offered information!)

there are 2 versions of the S200, 1 with MM only, 1 with MC. the difference is the extra ecc83 and some bits, but the step up is all valve (i'm told).

i don't know anything about electronics in reality, but i do know the phono stage is very good, punching way beyond the £250 i paid for it as a passive preamp with a phono stage built in.
    No offence intended! All I meant by it was that I would perfectly understand someone not wanting to go to the trouble of removing it from their system, taking the lid off and then taking photos and posting them on here all just for the sake of our curiosity!

I'm Gone.

Well It's arrived thanks to the wonders of Parcel Force who combined with PayPay crashing when I tried to select another delivery address, delivered it to my office (no one was there, we were out on assignments) It should have gone to our warehouse, where of course there were people to sign for it. However, it's at home the Mrs. has unpacked it, plugged it in and switched on the Stax energiser, so it will be ready for me to wire up and have a listen to, when I get this paper to bed and go home around 2:00am However I can't wait really intrigued with this one.

Cheers all

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast