+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 'Digital Glare' - is it really the medium at fault?

I'm Nick.

What the source is driving into. the combination of the preamp and whatever is afterwards as a network, or the first stage of a active preamp. Plus whatever LCR components are added by any interconnect in use.
    Nick.

I'm Martin.

Right so I did understand sort of. Presumably there are optimum parameters for the combined network the source is driving?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Nick.

Maybe, but I prefer to use a driver that is agnostic about what its driving.
    Nick.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Now apologies if you already knew this. But I am wondering what the reason for this revelation is. A pet theory I have just pulled out of the air is that the output level of most if not all CD players and DACs is just way too high and that running that signal through an active pre-amp i.e another gain stage is both unnecessary and counter-productive. It is that extra gain stage that is causing the 'digital glare'. Copying the CD to R2R or cassette bypasses that extra gain stage and with the lower output of those devices, the problem is sidestepped. Now I suppose this is not the case for all active pre-amps , just those several dozens (both stand alone and integrated) that I have heard. Fair enough if that is the case. Does anyone else relate to what I am going on about here? Is there possibly another reason for this effect? Your opinions welcomed.
    My personal experiences do not relate to CD players but to the digital transport (i.e. Squeezebox Touch). I have noticed that when I ssh into the Touch (I remotely log in to the box; Squeezebox Touch is basically a micro computer running Linux OS), I can play with various job priorities as well as with buffer sizes. And often times the changes I make to the digital transport have noticeable impact on the sound quality (and by 'quality' I don't mean how good or bad it sounds, more like different taste or flavour of the sound).

Since I personally prefer 'wetter', 'greasier' sound, I have tweaked the job priorities and the buffer sizes on the Touch to deliver such sound. It's the sound that has more substance, more heaviness to it, as opposed to more transparency and airiness. The best way I could describe those differences would be to ask you to imagine a musical instrument, say a cello, painted with glossy oil paint, and then imagine the same instrument painted with more delicate acrylic paint. I prefer the effect that the oil paint gives.

Where does 'digital glare' fit into this? I don't know. All I can say is that, to my ears, good analog sound reproduction seems more like a soundscape rendered in oil paints, while a decent digital system sounds more like it's been rendered using acrylics. Both can have its pros and cons. I think it's down to personal taste...
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Grant.

very artistic post
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

IMO a lot of this "glare", "sheen" and "fatigue" effects associated with digital are due to oversampling, upsampling, digital filtering etc. As Nick's mentioned, I think the other key aspect is down to so many DACs / CDPs using 'textbook' opamp circuits with poor power supplies. For long-term listening and an ultimately analogue sound, I've found that only true multibit, non-oversampling DACs can exceed what I get from my vinyl setup in terms of dynamic contrast, timbre & tone, naturalness etc. Of course some people *like* digital sound (especially the resolution), nothing wrong with this, I think my DAC preferences would go down better with vinyl or tape fans.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345