+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greetings from a dutchman in Norway

I'm Martijn.

Default Greetings from a dutchman in Norway

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum.

The reason I joined is the Technics SL-1210 MK2.

As a music enthusiast I listen to my records through basically a full Audio Note system based on 300B or 845 amplification. Two years ago I sold my Michell Gyro/SME 309 turntable because I never was really happy with it. It can sound good, but in my opinion it lacks musicality and has in my opinion some more faults. I always have a Linn Basik/Akito deck (spare) to compare with, let's say as a reference. Not because it is that good but because I know this deck very well. You can say that this deck in its days outperformed a Rega P3.

I picked up a second hand Technics and this deck received a 'makeover' by a Technics dealer in the Netherlands. This meant a new top plate, slider, buttons, power switch, lid and Tasker (Italian) decent arm wiring from headshell to RCA.

The deck looked brand new and stunning. I play the deck on a Solid Steel 5.4 hifi rack and with a Denon DL-103 in the standard Technics headshell. The deck sounded nice, however the bottom end was promising. The sound was not a long way from my Linn, but the Gyro/SME performed much better.

I started reading on this forum. First I adjusted the feet, they now do not touch the deck directly as advised. I removed the rubber ring in the headshell and compared some turntable mats. The original Technics mat sounded too dark with litte or no sound staging. The Linn felt mat on top made the deck, well sound more like a Linn , an old Lenco L75 mat did the trick, the soundstage opened up and instruments and voices began to sound more naturaly. As I recall does the Lenco L75 platter also have ringing issues, this could be the reason that it works so well.

But on Private investigations, Dire Straits the details were still a bit unclear and the overall sound was still too dark. But the deck at least outperformed the Linn now.

So I put some sorbothane dampers bought at a local store under the stock feet . Now this was a surprise. The deck took a giant leap and was at least on par or outperformed the Gyro/SME. It seems like the dampers couple the deck to the rack in a way that the rack can compliment the turntable.

I feel there is much more to gain and I am surprised how well this deck performs. The journey continues…..

Martijn

I'm Paul.

Hi Martijn and welcome to the forum
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Andrei.

Hello from New Zealand. I've been to NL five times (partner Dutch) and enjoyed it every time. I am also on the 1210 adventure and have found the Techiepedia http://theartofsound.net/forum/forum...he-Techiepedia very useful. Have a look at this for a bit of fun: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...AudioFreaks-nl
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

MartinT Guest

Hello Martijn from another Martin, and welcome to AoS.

You will find lots of information on the SL-12xx in the Techiepedia section.

Yes, the stock feet are rubbish. If you can afford them, the Isonoe feet are highly recommended but any kind of sorbothane helps, as you have discovered.

I'm Dave.

Hi Martijn, welcome to AOS.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

+ Reply to Thread