+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 401

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Default 401

Been servicing my 401 ready for Owston next week, when It'll be played for the first time.

How quickly should a 401 get up to speed?

Mine at the mo takes 2 revs for 33 and 4 revs for 45. It's also easy to stop the platter with my finger.

Is this normal?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Been servicing my 401 ready for Owston next week, when It'll be played for the first time.

How quickly should a 401 get up to speed?

Mine at the mo takes 2 revs for 33 and 4 revs for 45. It's also easy to stop the platter with my finger.

Is this normal?
    errr no

Dominic will be there he will look at your bodge work and fix it ......

I'm Dominic.

About half a rev for both 33 and 45 Ali.

I'm Dominic.

If I remember Il bring some bits n bobs and get it running better for you.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Great, many thanks Dom. I have stripped and oiled the motor and it runs freely, as does the idler wheel. Spindle bearing stripped cleaned and oiled also.

Seems it's slow getting up to speed then. New idler wheel needed?

Also, how hot should the motor get? Mine gets pretty hot, I can only touch the bottom half of the clam shell for a couple of seconds.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Dominic.

The motor getting that hot means you need to align the shells a little better and should run cooler. It will get hot but not so you cant touch it for quite a while.
    No need to buy an idler wheel. The replacements available rarely sound as good as the originals. Bit of magic and it will be running much better.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Ok thanks Dom, I will strip and build up again.

How come it's so slow getting up to speed then?

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Dominic.

The inner platter face and idler wheel face need dressing. Also use a small mount of grease rather than oil on the idler bushes. Will run quieter.
    Be careful not to over tighten the nuts holding the two halves of the motor together. This may be why your motor is getting a bit hot.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Ah, thanks Dom, that'll be it, I did them up quite tightly.

I can't detect any noise at all when it's running though.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

BTW, I used a bit of Vaseline on the idler wheel bushes, spins very freely.

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast