+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laptop Vs Streamer.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    The Marantz NA7004 is no more a PC, than my new car stereo...
    Both has got processors, just like PC's, but these appliances does not rely on software like an OS to function.
    That means they are preprogrammed using firmware, and most functions are hardware based.
    They DO talk to PC's in one way or another (USB/DLNA/UPnP) though.

Fully agree that the Marantz NA-7004 blows Squeeze away quite easily soundwise. Have had both in my system.
    And i have never heard a PC/Mac that comes even close to the audio quality of my Bladelius Embla network/disc player.
    I do use a Mac/Amarra with an USB2SPDIF converter to feed the Embla digital signal sometimes. Flexibility is the only advantage for a PC/Mac as i see it.

Of course you can always claim that my pc/mac's have not been correctly configured, and i cannot but state that my 20years of experience in computer audio would leave me reasonably competent.
    I obviously agree that SQ wise the NA7004 is far better than an SB. But again adding the fact that the NA7004 as a transport only device is superb too, and therefore offers a great platform for any connecting external DAC - the transport "does" make a difference!!!. Ok so its S/PDIF - but don't get over enthusiastic about the idea of async USB - its not all its cracked up to be! The NA7004 is only an example... there are others too like the Pioneer N50K and the Yamaha CD-N500 so name but a few - however I have no experience of these others (yet).

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    The Marantz NA7004 is no more a PC, than my new car stereo...
    Hmmm, maybe not a PC, but the Marantz NA7004 is most definitely a computer and I would hazard a guess that your new car stereo is probably a computer too

I would also add that a properly configured device using 'computer' components can produce high quality sound for around a third the price of a comparable CD transport and going up the scale with server design, paying attention to both power supplies and operating systems (especially power) and you can arrive slap bang in the middle of the world of so called 'high end audio' (whatever that is?) for a fraction of the cost.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Mike.

If we can agree that anything containing a processor, configured by some form of software is a computer, then yes... My car stereo is a computer too
    And yes, even the Embla is a computer by that definition. What differentiates the Embla from most other network players is the fact that it is NOT based on an OS. It is purpose built to play audio files from disc or over the network and all of it's software is assembly coded and stored on an SD card.
    That also is one of its disadvantages, updates are scarse and it still needs some minor upgrades.
    Basically it is very much like the Marantz NA-7004 and Pineer N-50, both of which sounds almost as good but lacks two important features (for me)
    These features are;
    Excellent Analog preamp, one fully balanced and two single ended inputs.
    Volume control, in the analogue domain.
    Those two are ported over from the Bladelius Saga preamp, a really nice pre.

And yes, i feel a little patriotic as it is Swedish design, and fully built in Sweden!
    Regards Mike

I'm Alex.

Mike, are you sure there is no OS? Not even a real time kernel like vnx?. I'm just interested in it's architecture. I'd be willing to bet that they didn't write their own ip stack (for example) or file system too much cost/effort for a fully bespoke platform.

Best regards,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Mike.

According to the designer, the software is 100% proprietary. But it also makes sense, what you're typing AlexM..
    I mean, i needs to be able to talk:
    TCP/IP
    UPnP/DLNA
    USB 2.0
    Needs to understand FAT32
    Etc. Etc.

Inside view of the Embla Classic DL
    (Classic means dual DAC's, three filters/settings. DL means it does not store music internally, and dors not have a ripping function)

Regards Mike

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    I also have an HRT music streamer II+, and it punches way above it's price bracket. I had a Cambridge 850c with a load of click capacitor and output stage mods that sounded broken in comparison. I was MOST surprised. It is good enough that Conrad johnson put one in a nice box with a linear PSU and charge thousands of dollars for it.

Certainly worth a try with your existing laptop.

Regards,
    Alex
    Where did you learn that CJ are using a HRT in their flashy streamer out of interest (and it is very interesting...!)

I'm Alex.

Hi Chris,

There is a thread on in the C-J sub forum at audio aficionado.com http:// http://www.audioaficionado.org/conrad-johnson/10083-conrad-johnson-hd3-usb-dac-5.html.

Internal pics at xycad.com http:// http://www.xycad.com/bbs/thread-64880-1-1.html

It appears to be an msII+ with extensive power supply and analogue stages.

Cheers,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Alex.

Hi Chris,

There is a thread on in the C-J sub forum at audio aficionado.com here.

Internal pics at xycad.com here.

It appears to be an msII+ with extensive power supply and analogue stages.

Cheers,
    Alex

I'm Tony.

Reading through the posts and see the op suggesting he was considering spending 2k on a laptop. If you have that budget build or buy a dedicated fanless pc in a streacom or hdplex case. Get linear power supplies and your choice of music software. MQn (brillant) free but not glossy, Jplay, Jriver etc etc. You would find it hard to spend 2k on an i7 or i5 based pc with 8-16gb ram, SSD etc. The laptop is just not at the races compared to dedicated PC but it still aint bad and it is more convenient. But again at your budget you can control everything with a cheap laptop or tablet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123