+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Flock of Tuners....

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The Sony 5950 (which replaced the 5150 I think) was a sleeper of a reference tuner as I recall, which easily competed with the Pioneers of the time, but wasn't as big a seller for us. Even a friend who bought the lovely old 5650 amp bought a Pioneer 9500 to go with it (an awsome tuner on radio 3 I remember).
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    That's a shame, because, apart from all your grief, it'd be nice to have heard how the Sony fared.
    They have a good reputation and can be currently found for very little money.
    The left channel issue is probably a break in the board or a dry joint as I tried it again this afternoon and the left channel was back. However the sound was still phasey and slightly distorted. Question is if this guy had packed properly would it still be like that?

Don't rule the Sony out i'll get Rodney Hanna to have a look at it and I can add it later.

To shed more light on things the brands involved in the shoot out are as follows Akai, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui.

You will have to wait for more info

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Hi Guys and Chris

The next contender has arrived (very well packed..excellent). A moment of concern about the FM/AM/Auto selector was solved with an allen key, it now works. Sound quality okay no issues so far looks fantastic though in the flesh not quite as heavy as the pictures suggest.

Anyone know anything about this one ? So far I can find nothing out about it. I liked the look/style of it, so I obtained it...maybe its a sleeper too, or just a pretty tuner(beauty in the eye of the beholder and all).

So Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you on her first AOS coming out the....

AKAI AT580.

Google brought me a wee bit more info today..go figure. The Akai AT580 dates from 1973/1974 was Akai's top tuner and sold back then for $400...a lot back in the early 70's. Thats as much as I can find out. Any more info sources out there. The usual suspects, Tuner info network and Big audio Ideas are a blank.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 17-09-2009 at 11:51. Reason: additional info.
    Regards Neil

I'm ChrisB.

I hope you'll be investing in a chest wig & medallion before you try turning that tuning knob!

..........oh, & one of those watches with a really wide leather strap

I'm Neil.

I hope you'll be investing in a chest wig & medallion before you try turning that tuning knob!

..........oh, & one of those watches with a really wide leather strap

Indeed . Just been cleaning it up and its in very good nick for its age. A few marks on the top plate, but the fascia and wood ends are very good. So far I am pleased with this one. Sound quality thats another thing...ummmmmm we shall see.

Chris do you know anything about this tuner ? Or a link to a web site about Akai ?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm ChrisB.

Neil,

Just what does this mean...................?
    Hi Guys and Chris

I know I asked Mick Parry how he knew I wasn't female, but I never thought anyone believed me.
    Hehehe............

Do you know? I never had an Akai & I don't know a single thing about anything they ever made.

I can't find anything on this model with a look at the sites I know or with a quick Gurgle. There's a (very) ropey photo on vintage-tuner.com
    http://www.vintage-tuner.com/files1/akai.htm
    I'll keep looking - I may have something in hard copy.

I'd say it looks in good nick, but I recognise those photos from one of the sites I've just seen!

I'm interested to hear how it fairs against whatever else you've been & got hold of & presumably the Truffie

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If another Sony, try for an ST3950, 5950SD and, I think, the 2150 from the mid seventies..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Neil.

Neil,

Just what does this mean...................?

I know I asked Mick Parry how he knew I wasn't female, but I never thought anyone believed me.
    Hehehe............

Do you know? I never had an Akai & I don't know a single thing about anything they ever made.

I can't find anything on this model with a look at the sites I know or with a quick Gurgle. There's a (very) ropey photo on vintage-tuner.com
    http://www.vintage-tuner.com/files1/akai.htm
    I'll keep looking - I may have something in hard copy.

I'd say it looks in good nick, but I recognise those photos from one of the sites I've just seen!

I'm interested to hear how it fairs against whatever else you've been & got hold of & presumably the Truffie
    Hi Chris

I just meant in general and to you specifically, in hope you might be able to tell me more about it. $400 back in 73 was a small fortune I would have though. Build quality is very good and there is shielding inside and all copper plating elsewhere including the case lid which is black on one side and unpainted on the other.

Yes your right the photos are from flicker(nice collection that guy has), having just got it I didn't have time to take photos. The one I have is actually slightly better than that one, as it has a few age marks on the fascia. The one I have just obtained has a few marks on the walnut end at the right side...but very little is wrong in total. I am well pleased with the item and the seller. He packed it very well and followed my advice. I am only waiting now for the Sansui and its a very good one

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    If another Sony, try for an ST3950, 5950SD and, I think, the 2150 from the mid seventies..
    Hi Dave

I will keep my eyes open, but to be honest unless its for a few quid I won't be able to do it. I only got these to facilitate this project and then at least some will go up for sale after being checked over fully etc at some point.

The Sony 5150 may well be fixable, and as it cost virtually nothing I am not panicking about it. The lack of cost to it, is probably why the toss pot who solid it didn't give a stuff about it. I still haven't heard from him

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm ChrisB.

I just meant in general and to you specifically, in hope you might be able to tell me more about it
    I know, I was just pulling your wire a bit!!
    The Sansui sounds ...................interesting!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast