+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A Flock of Tuners....

I'm Steve.

Hi Neil. Great write up! I particularly like the "look" of the Revox, I have always liked their industrial, form form follows function appearance. I have a yagi beam antenna that has been assembled but never connected if you want it? yours for the price of postage ( I would exceed my baggage allowance otherwise...)

Steve

Oh....nice!...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Revox-B-760-Tu...3A3%7C294%3A50
    Last edited by aquapiranha; 29-05-2009 at 23:30.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Neil.

Hi Steve

Love the look of the old Revox too. That B760 looks very nice.

At the time I got the B260-S tuner I could have bought the matching Revox tape deck but compared to my Nakamichi it sounded to warm and cuddly and lacking in openness, not by much but enough to put me off. I should have got it.... It also came with a remote which works the tuner, as well as the tape deck.

See PM for aerial...

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

EAR FM STEREO VALVE DECODER

Hi Guys

Just because I like completeness, I have taken the opportunity (during a system swop around) to take some photos of the EAR decoder. The unit would appear to have been modified by one (original ?) of its owners (modifications similar to those done to the Leak Trough-Line 3, bought at the same time as the decoder). A cork mat has been glued to the bottom of the case, a wood bottom plate added to the bottom. The original mains output has been moved ? (I think), the original outlet has the multiplex connecting cable exiting through it and a new IEC socket has been constructed from miliput (an apoxy made up of 2 sticks of plastercine type material which is blended and when hard like a ceramic). The work is crude in nature, but the new fascia is more attractive than the original plain metal front.

The 2 EEC 83 valves are Gold Aero an American company that did extensive testing and matching of Chinese sourced valves 20 years ago (I don't think Gold Aero are still trading).

Regardless of the physical changes the unit works well and matches the Leak Trough-Line 2, better than the other Leak's with a multiplex output.

The interesting question is was this an EAR supplied/made unit or an EAR supplied kit ? I don't know.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 10-06-2009 at 23:25.
    Regards Neil

I'm Adrian.

Hi DSDL

where might Rodney Hanna be found?

Adrian

I'm ChrisB.

Neil,
    I don't mean to pass disparaging remarks, & I'm sure the sound of the Trough/Ear decoder combination is sublime, but I've got to say that the lump sticking out of the back of the Ear with the mains connection on it is a proper 'Arse Biscuit'!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Unhappy I'm sorry, too...

Indeed, Chris. It is a veritable jobby amongst jobbies!

As protuberant abominations go, it wins first prize !! WTF??

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Neil,
    I don't mean to pass disparaging remarks, & I'm sure the sound of the Trough/Ear decoder combination is sublime, but I've got to say that the lump sticking out of the back of the Ear with the mains connection on it is a proper 'Arse Biscuit'!!!

That it is.... This was as it is when I bought it. I assume the previous owner so taken with the idea of mains cable upgrades built this to facilitate that option. Its made from miliput which is a form of clay that hardens like an epoxy glue. You get to sticks of clay, one grey, one buff. One is the glue, and ones the hardener. You mix, shape and finish, and your left with something very workable. I use it to fill the cracks you can get in models, when joints don't meet together cleanly.

The previous owner could have done a better job and cleaned and filled/sanded this down to match the dimensions of the metal work(when painted you would not have known), but very obviously hasn't, hence its a dogs dinner visually. However its tough and durable and isn't likely to fall off.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 24-06-2009 at 08:12.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian B View Post
    Hi DSDL

where might Rodney Hanna be found?

Adrian

Hi Adrian

You will have a PM.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Adrian.

Thanks, but where will I have a PM? It's not in my inbox on this site. I suppose the will suggests sometime in the future

(are there rules about short posts like this that clog up threads?)

Adrian

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian B View Post
    Thanks, but where will I have a PM? It's not in my inbox on this site. I suppose the will suggests sometime in the future

(are there rules about short posts like this that clog up threads?)

Adrian
    Sorry Adrian

It will appear at the top of the page your viewing (when I send it) relating to your name in the top right corner. I am getting ready to go out in awhile so will send it to you later (this morning though)

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast