+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to?

I'm Lee.

Default How to?

As a newbie to the site, The forum has been high recommended to me. So I have just purchased a second hand Mac mini and I want to set it up as a music server to serve as a source to my naim supernait. I not botherd about using the mini for anything else, so totally re-configuring it just for purpose that's fine, therefore can anyone give me any advice or point me to the threads that explain the best way to do this .
    Last edited by ljcarr; 02-11-2013 at 08:40.

I'm Keith.

How are you going to connect the Mac to the Supernait?
    Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by purite audio View Post
    How are you going to connect the Mac to the Supernait?
    Keith.
    Like Keith says, how are you going to connect it?

If you are planning on using the Headphone output directly into the back of your amp (if it's analogue) then i'd get a RCA to mini phono jack cable and just connect it up, open up iTunes and Bob's your Uncle

For better sound, you'd possibly want to use an External DAC, maybe a Beresford Bushmaster or similar and connect via the Headphone Jack (which doubles up as a digital output) using a mini phono jack into the digital input on the DAC, or if you were to get a DAC with a USB input, you could just connect it to the USB to USB.

I find iTunes easy to use but I know a few people struggle, if you want any advise then shout... I'd definitely recommend Applelossless as the option if you are importing CD's...

Paul.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Lee.

Thanks guys, I was going to connect via the digital headphone jack using a Toslink ?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by ljcarr View Post
    Thanks guys, I was going to connect via the digital headphone jack using a Toslink ?
    In which case you'll need an external DAC.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Iain.

I thought the supernait had digital inputs, so a mini toslink to toslink cable should be all the hardware required, and then change the audio properties in the control panel of the mac mini.
    Main: LP12, Akurate DSM, Akudorik Speakers
    Computer Room: Squeezebox Touch, Caiman SEG with Dorado, LK100, Radius90, XLS200.
    Living room: PC with Audioquest Dragonfly, Pi DAC, Sky Q, IncaTech Claymore, Kans.

I'm Lee.

That's correct the supernaite has digital inputs and internal dac

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by ljcarr View Post
    That's correct the supernaite has digital inputs and internal dac
    Just hook up a Toslink then - you'll need some kind of adapter at the 'puter end.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Iain.

You can use an adaptor, I would probably prefer a made up cable with mini-toslink on one end and regular toslink on the other.

For example Amazon have these in different lengths, but loads are available from all sorts of suppliers. (Though I haven't used any of them)
    Main: LP12, Akurate DSM, Akudorik Speakers
    Computer Room: Squeezebox Touch, Caiman SEG with Dorado, LK100, Radius90, XLS200.
    Living room: PC with Audioquest Dragonfly, Pi DAC, Sky Q, IncaTech Claymore, Kans.

I'm Lee.

Thanks guys

+ Reply to Thread