+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Halo From New Zealand

I'm Hamish.

Default Halo From New Zealand

Hi All... Been lurking here for a few weeks since finding this site whilst looking at ways to tweak my Technics SL1210 M5G.
    Previously I ran an Ariston RD80 with Sumiko Tonearm and Grado Gold MM Cart...Nice but too much werk tuning it and slipping belts etc...hence moving on to the Techie for newness, reliabiltiy and convenience......not knowing the potential this beast has....
    Any way I first heard about Mike New's bearing a year or so ago....again looking for ways to tweak my deck, but due to moving house (2x since then) never got around to setting up the techie until a month back.

It sounded dull...grado gold Cart, an old Rotel phono stage..so sevearl late nite / early morning searches and reviews later, thanks to google...got an orotofon 2M Black Plug n Play Cart. (the pnp headshell was faulty so thats back to Germany for a swap) The black is now on the stock techie headshell, and an ifi Iphono pre amp..... both lifted to Techie to a new level....
    Next it was an isolation mat and some feet for the deck and speakers...so Herbies Well Excellent II Mat and several feet seemed the way to go....and yes another tightening up ov sound and removing ov floor vibration....This vinyl playing is really getting enjoyable....old fav's are sounding far better, tighter more enjoyable....2 weeks later and not once has a cd been played...well a new Nurse With Wound disc arrived...so got 2 plays........
    Next up after reading stuff on KAB, had to be a damper for the stock tonearm (should arrive any day), and a power supply.......Then researching that found the Timestep...and on Ebay put in a best offer...accepted...good price free shipping. The Timestep HE PSU...just installed...good improvement.....post about that soon...Timestep HE PSU is real nice ..tho the Seller..(Banned here I see, is a P@rick, thats a silent @).

Had been back and forth looking at Mike New's Bearing......yes a definate do want...did more searching and found Art of Sound.......Bugga really should have taken more notice ov forums when doing searches.....But very happy with my recent upgrades.
    So Ive splashed out on a Mike New Bearing...Mike sent it Monday.....Once that and the tonearm damper are installed..I will leave it that for some time before moving on to a Tonearm upgrade...thinking Origin Live Silver mk 3a.
    All in all very pleased with the results thus far........
    Thats a ramble and a half....
    Ummm. My Aural Kitchen Ware- as above and also CD player Linn Genki, Yamaha K222 Cassette Deck, Perreaux SM6 Pre-amp Perreaux 250P, Power Amp, Image 404 Speakers, Image AVS 200 Sub, Kimber Speaker Kables (blue n black).
    My Sonic diet...Nurse With Wound, Throbbing Gristle, The Sweet, Jah Wobble, PIL, Chrome, Kate Bush, SPK, 23 Skidoo, Joy Division, Coil, Crass, Nick Cave, Hawkwind and much more.

synsei Guest

'ello Hamish and welcome to AoS. That's quite a journey you've been on matey and by the sound of it you are already reaping the benefits. I predict very good things in your future once you have fitted Mike's bearing, t'is very good by all accounts.

I'm Andrei.

Greets from Napier. They are a pretty friendly bunch here. I suggest you bookmark the Techiepedia http://theartofsound.net/forum/forum...he-Techiepedia as there is lots of info there on the 1210. I've a few mods on my Mk5 and follow the Techiepedia to keep up with the play.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Paul.

Hello Hamish and welcome to the forum
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Hamish.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    Greets from Napier. They are a pretty friendly bunch here. I suggest you bookmark the Techiepedia http://theartofsound.net/forum/forum...he-Techiepedia as there is lots of info there on the 1210. I've a few mods on my Mk5 and follow the Techiepedia to keep up with the play.
    Hi Andrei.
    Cheers mate...nice to see another Antipodean on here....The ifi iphono is a kickass little piece ov tech.... The ifi itube might be a wise move too...
    Hamish
    We are all the same in that We are very different.

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Incisions View Post
    Cheers mate...nice to see another Antipodean on here....The ifi iphono is a kickass little piece ov tech.... The ifi itube might be a wise move too...
    Hamish
    Easily my best Techie upgrade was the Isonoe Feet; the Cardas rewire was a partial success - probably should not have done it as I will eventually get a new arm. Funk's Achromat is a modest improvement as is an Oyaide headshell. I would be very interested in your experiences with the Timestep and I am thinking in that direction myself. I am so pleased with the ifi phono stage, from memory it was about $500, but is a little cracker. It can do MM and MC so I will swap out the Denon Cartridge for a spare Benz Ace that I have. I would like to experiment with the ifi tube stage as I like the sound of valves, but other things first.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

+ Reply to Thread