+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squeezebox listening

I'm Craig.

Default Squeezebox listening

I have found since the purchase of my SB, that I tend to do far more " song hopping" than I ever did before!

Ok, with cd it was still possible to do that, but for whatever reason now, I tend to be far too trigger happy!

Anyone else guilty of this?
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Richard.

Yep, I call it iPod syndrome. Idle hands and all that...

I don't really know whether it's cause or effect though. Is it because you can now choose a song without having to get up, find it on the shelf, take it out of it's case, place it in the tray, close the tray, find the track and press play? Or is it just because you inevitably end up listening to a lot more crap just because it's there?

On the other hand, it could be because the sound quality from your system just isn't engaging you in the way that your old CD player did. If your brain is like mine and values timing in music over pretty much everything else, you might just find that it's wandering too much to listen to a full album. What are you doing whilst listening - Nothing, or playing around with your iPad/iPhone?

Back when I had a Densen CD player, I found myself never listening beyond track 5 of even my most cherished albums. I couldn't put my finger on why until I had another player to compare it with and suddenly realised that it just had a terrible sense of timing (in my system anyway). The Densen got replaced and I immediately started listening to albums all the way through again.

I used to find myself flicking through random tracks with my Squeezebox, but a few upgrades down the line - power supply, Triode's EDO software tweaks and a DAC upgrade, I'm far more likely to choose an album and sit and listen to it all these days.
    Rich

I'm David.

Its possibly down to you are not captivated enough by the music or the sound.

I'm Craig.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, but my track hopping has nothing to do with lower quality listening or timing issues.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that although I'm relying on aural memory, but the sound I'm hearing now with the SB and all related bits since moving on the cdp, the SQ is better.

There have been upgrades in a fair few bits, speakers and cables, Dac, mains conditioner etc, as well as a linear PSU fior the SB, so obviously they all helped, so the truth is, I have no idea why I jump tracks the way I do, possibly it is to do with not having to get up, select a CD etc.......?
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm alan.

I have a similar set up.I think it lends to track hopping simply because you can, without moving,i have even got a controller so i don't have to squint at the touch screen across the room.I am now experimenting with vinyl again,the first thing that that struck me was how short one side of an LP is.
    Revox B795,NVA Phono 1,Teac PD H500C,SB Touch,Mark Grant Linear PSU,Bushmaster MkII,NVA AP70,IPL LS3TLM.Royd Minstrels.

I'm Steve.

I tend to set mine to play random songs and let her rip
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm Will.

I normally just queue up a few albums without ReplayGain as my M-DAC prefers bit perfect and I still prefer to listen to entire albums, but for parties etc. I'll stick on a random playlist with album ReplayGain on...it's nice to have options
    Cheers, Will

I'm Jerry.

Naim exclusive Radio Paradise on my Squeezy sounds great to me.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Alex.

I tend to skip around a little more with access to a complete library as I have developed a short attention span, and am not so inhibited by laziness!.

Seriously though, I have enough music that I do tend to forget what I own, so I do tend to use random play quite a bit. I am very satisfied by the SQ I get, so I don't think there is some latent irritation or dissatisfaction at play.

Regards,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Martin.

For me it all depends on my mood what type of music I play and most of it is via an iPod into a Wadia 170i on shuffle so tend to flick through songs and have even been known to take an album off my iPod, wondering how I put it on in the first place. At other times a song comes on and I have just got to listen to the whole album. As they say "there's nothing stranger than folk"

Marty
    Source: Wadia 170 iTransport
    Apple iPod 120MB/160MB, Apple iMac/Airport Express, Musical Fidelity X-RAY CD player,
    Beresford Caiman SEG with Dorado power supply
    Amplification: ATC SCA2 Pre
    Speaker: ATC SCM 50 ASL Classic
    Other cables, power supplies: Chord Signature, Mike Homar, Mark Grant G1000HD, RFC Reference Mercury, 20000mAH Ankaka battery
    Favourite HIFI forum: AOS of course

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast