+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which component imparts the biggest sonic signature ?

I'm Robert.

Default Which component imparts the biggest sonic signature ?

Generally speaking, which component (turntable, amp, speakers - excluding cart) would you say imparts the biggest sonic signature ?

synsei Guest

I reckon it would be the speakers

I'm Keith.

Your room/ loudspeakers.
    Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by purite audio View Post
    Your room/ loudspeakers.
    Keith.
    Unless using headphones I usually make exactly the same comment (trying to get Steadman to understand it is room before speakers with his 57 fetish) but having spent the weekend playing with cans i thought I'd be a smart-arse

I'm Martin.

I'd say turntable/cart as any decent speaker will reveal the character of that combination. I've never swapped speakers (or changed rooms) and thought 'wow my TT sounds totally different'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

Speakers. Without them you don't get much in the way of any sonic signature

Speakers/room, and how the speakers are designed in terms of axis/off axis response can make huge differences to the perception of music. More so than just about any other component in the chain.

I'm Jez.

Speakers.... and yes as you have to listen to them somewhere the room...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm gone.

Speakers, then source, then amp, then cables and 'infrastructure'.
    Assuming the room is a given.

All are important though. Any can fook up the sound.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    Unless using headphones I usually make exactly the same comment (trying to get Steadman to understand it is room before speakers with his 57 fetish) but having spent the weekend playing with cans i thought I'd be a smart-arse
    Wot a load of old rubbish. 57s are different. They worked in a cupboard as well as a baronial dining hall. Can't imagine you trying to be a smartarse any more than me having a fetish

I'm Deleted.

I think it depends what one means precisely by 'biggest difference'. For example, there is a big difference () between quantity and quality. I would agree that speakers (and room) make the biggest quantity difference, but this certainly isn't true with regard to quality (though obviously even that depends on what items are being compared).
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast