+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The MCRU Ultimate & Ultimate HC Mk. III Power Cables

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Simon.

Safe and legal but likely to void your household insurance, so check before using any part that isn't BS kiteflagged. CE cert might not be enough here, they'll use any excuse to vwriggle out of a claim.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm David.

simon I always like your posts I have to say

1000's of audiophiles already have insurance voiding parts in their homes, maybe even millions if you look on the DIY AUDIO forum, one of the chief engineers from the British Electrical Safety Council has gone on record as stating schuko plugs are fine as long as there is a fused uk mains plug from the wall socket which is precisely what I suggested

a quick check with a continuity tester before plugging the schuko plug in will tell you which way round to use it, simple!

I'm Neal.

I'm not sure about 'safe'... if the equipment on/off switch is wired to switch the live and maybe fused on the live side only reversing polarity could be an issue as the neutral would now be switched and un-fused with part of the input wiring and transformer primary permanently live and a therefore a potential hazard. It would depend heavily on how the appliance is wired. There are plenty of UK 'audiophile' extension leads available why take the risk.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Grant View Post
    That's correct Martin, depending on which way the schuko is plugged in reverses the Live and Neutral.
    If you plug them in the wrong way they are potentially dangerous depending on the way an appliance operates. I suppose one way round this would be to mark the live side on the case in some way. Best to be safe for insurance purposes. Also I suspect some well known audiophile mains leads do not meet British standards. Also remember UK wiring utilises a ring main rather than radial spurs hence the introduction of fused plugs to protect the leads.

synsei Guest

If in doubt stick with UK spec mains plugs, that is the sensible approach. No point getting all anal about mains if there's a chance you might be putting yourself and your families lives at risk.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123