+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The MCRU Ultimate & Ultimate HC Mk. III Power Cables

MartinT Guest

Default The MCRU Ultimate & Ultimate HC Mk. III Power Cables

It’s no secret that the MCRU ‘Ultimate’ series of power cables are based on the Furukawa 2.1mm and 2.6mm (HC) series of solid core screened PCOCC-A OFC cable using the continuous cast Ohno process. This cable, designed for in-wall applications, is serious stuff, very stiff and resistant to bending. However, there is much more to David’s Ultimate Mk. III cables than just the Furukawa, as you will see when I returned my earlier spec cables to be upgraded. What is added is an outer braiding of carbon loaded material; the very best Furutech rhodium connectors, both 13A UK plug and IEC connector (or a 20A connector if you have Chord or other equipment requiring it); the very best in-plug fuse that David can find, from Synergistic Research; and finally, internal filters which are fitted at both connector ends.

My past experiments have shown me that my preference for mains connectors is rhodium, then silver and, least preferred, gold, for the material. I have also found that fuses can make a considerable difference to the sound (I use Hi-Fi Tuning fuses liberally around my system).

The first task was to perform some contortions to get the cable to bend and take the shape required. It is quite heavy and can pull itself out of sockets, so it’s important to shape and support it wherever possible. My system rack is close to the rear wall, so I found myself under and over the rack, bending and shaping, to get it to sit happily. The saving grace is that it retains the shape given to it. I placed the Ultimate HC cable feeding the entire system via my P10 regenerator and the standard Ultimate, with 20A connector, feeding my Chord power amp.

The cables need some good running-in under power in order to achieve their final performance. Discussions of the merits of running-in are outside of the scope of this review; suffice to say that I have always, without fail, heard the effects of a power cable settling down after a period of time. Give them 100 hours and they’ll be ready for serious evaluation. I left mine running for an hour (in my case, my cables were already run-in) and had a good listen to both vinyl and CDs.

After replacing the original cable supplied by Chord and a perfectly serviceable 'kettle' cable supplying the regenerator, the upgrade in performance was striking. None of the usual parameters changed - tonality, etc. - but what was apparent was a whole level of dynamics, vividness and get-up-and-go that had not been there before. The music leaves the speakers to form a fully 3D soundstage, full of micro detail and spatial cues that were there for the listening before but which are now far more fully formed and vivid. In fact, vivid is the operative word for a lot of what these cables deliver. Detail is compelling but placed naturally in the mix, highly resolved with the leading edge of plucked strings and struck piano notes having better shape and definition. Bass is notable not just for its grunt and extension, but also the texture and quality of the notes being struck. I keep coming back to vivid – life-like and believable.

Regarding the best use of such cables, and bearing in mind their price, my favourite applications are for a regenerator inlet or mains distribution block for the HC (effectively supplying the entire system), and the power amp for either the standard or HC depending on the current draw. If you only have the budget for one, start with one of these. As for upgrading from previous versions, my 2.6 was a pure Furukawa and my 2.1 was an Ultimate Mk. II. Both of them (I have listened to them individually) sound better in Mk. III guise, although the improvement is obviously more incremental than the jump from ordinary cables. The HC into my P10 is the biggest single jump in sound quality in my system that a power cable has ever provided.

The Ultimate cables are an investment and will not benefit every system. However, given good resolution, many systems will improve when using an Ultimate to provide the main feed, and the very best will reward use throughout the main components with a significant step-up in performance which I don’t think could be delivered when spending a similar amount in component upgrades. In fact, there comes a level in hi-fi performance where any system screams for its mains power to be taken seriously.

I have used and tried many different power cables in my system, from basic RA Yello through to very expensive Connex, Kimber and Nordost products. Copper, silver and silver plated materials. Solid core and stranded construction. The Ultimate Mk. IIIs are the best power cables I have ever used. They take the quality of the core Furukawa and extend their performance to another level. Since MCRU offer a satisfaction guaranteed or return policy, there is no risk in your trying one out other than to be prepared not to want to return it.

I'm fuckoff.

Nice review, I think I'll be sending mine back for the treatment soon.

I'm David.

Hi martin.
    When I first discovered the cable (which incidentally has been discontinued by furukawa) I listened to it on my own IsoTek Sigmas which I had at the time 2-3 years ago, I thought at the time there was something wrong as a bit of wire cannot make such a dramatic improvement so there had to be some other reason. No it was the cable. In the beginning I had a Furutech gold plated plug and IEC fitted and thought that's as good as it gets. Then our lord and saviour Marco suggested the Furutech FI-50 IEC connector and matching mains plug rhodium plated, not being a fan of rhodium I tried it and the MK1 was born.

Fast forward to today, the 2.6mm cable has ceased production by furukawa so a few metres remains. The 2mm there are 30 x 100 metre reels arriving at Oyaides HQ this week which all are sold, then finished, no more, my stocks are secured so enough to make a few ultimates at least.

Yes it seems a lot of money for a mains lead but if you have a mains regenerator , conditioner, meaty power amps the likes of krell, chord, McIntosh etc etc then there is simply nothing better to power them ( based on 30+ years being a hifi nut).

MartinT Guest

That's disappointing news about the Furukawa supply, David. Is there any hope of getting any more, or at least an equivalent?

I'm David.

I have secured stocks so titter yee not. Review of the ultimate in hifiplus magazine soon as well.

I'm Clive.

Good review Martin, thank you. I hope your system gives you a lot of pleasure. Must say I'm a little jealous.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    I have secured stocks so titter yee not. Review of the ultimate in hifiplus magazine soon as well.

In that case thank god Roy " Nordost" Gregory has moved on....
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    In that case thank god Roy " Nordost" Gregory has moved on....
    Yes indeed, you will be glad to know that your new mains lead has some of the same tweaks as the new ultimate, glad you liked it

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    Yes indeed, you will be glad to know that your new mains lead has some of the same tweaks as the new ultimate, glad you liked it
    Is that why it sounds like it does?
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Is that why it sounds like it does?
    Its all the bling I added to it...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast