+ Reply to Thread
Page 282 of 282 FirstFirst ... 182232272280281282
Results 2,811 to 2,812 of 2812

Thread: I Think I Am Finished...or Zeppelin to Sinatra & Back

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Quoted specification for the SP1 is 2.0 - 4.0g VTF and 25deg VTA. If it were me, I would add 0.5g to your VTF.

Also, be aware that the effective tip mass for the SP1 is 2.6mg! Anything greater than 1mg will almost certainly damage the inner grooves, so I wouldn't use the cartridge to play your most treasured records.
    decided to up the vtf by 0.25gm to 2.25gm will give that a few plays to see if there is any difference.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Like your new B&O cartridge, daftee. Like Barry, I've also always rated them. A question for Barry (unless you know): were the cartridges actually made by B&O, or did someone else make them to their spec, such as Ortofon?

I've always wondered that, as whenever I hear one of those B&Os, it rather reminds me of an SPU!

Marco.
    There is no connection, apart from both being Danish companies. The fixed-coil generator of the Ortofon cartridges used a principle called "variable magnetic shunt", whereby the motion of the stylus modulates the reluctance of the magnetic 'circuit', and hence the flux threading the fixed coils. B&O cartridges also modulate the magnetic reluctance, but by different mechanical means: best classified as 'moving iron'.

It's been a long time since I gave my B&O SP6 a spin, so cannot really comment on how the sound compares with that of an SPU, or any of the early Ortofon cartridges (such as the SL15E or the S15TE (with integral transformer)).
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

+ Reply to Thread