+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Origin live cd motor kit

I'm Nick.

Default Origin live cd motor kit

Anyone tried these? Any significant improvement? Are they worth the money?

I'm Simon.

The motors are good the speed controller is shit. Technically and actually.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm jagtar.

Default Origin Live Motors

An alternative DC motor and controller is the Funk Firm VX which I have tried and seems pretty good so far on a PT Export.
    There is another one they do called the K Drive and I have two of them on my Funk Vectored LP12's, supposed to be better than VX and recommended for the Vector Drive using 1 motor and 2 passive pulleys.
    I understand that they use class A amps in the controller, well mine have been very reliable over the last 4 years or so.

I'm Nick.

Thanks for your responses. My concerns were two fold - a bit of noise from my motor and potentially some 'drift' or error with the motor and so platter speed. To check the latter I purchased a strobe from Keystrobe (incidentally excellent service) and it revealed absolutely no problem with platter speed - it was spot on. As for motor noise, having had a session today, it as barely noticeable and certainly not worth the prospect of spending silly money on a motor/ controller particularly given comments above!

I'm Spartacus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned664 View Post
    Thanks for your responses. My concerns were two fold - a bit of noise from my motor and potentially some 'drift' or error with the motor and so platter speed. To check the latter I purchased a strobe from Keystrobe (incidentally excellent service) and it revealed absolutely no problem with platter speed - it was spot on. As for motor noise, having had a session today, it as barely noticeable and certainly not worth the prospect of spending silly money on a motor/ controller particularly given comments above!
    But there's only one negative comment here and one suggestion for an alternative. I'd be interested too to hear more about the OL DC motor. Why is the speed controller shit? Does it not keep the right speed? I think as a replacement for a noisy motor this would be expensive. But surely it needs to be seen as an upgrade, in which case it has received some positive reviews. Any more feedback anyone?
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Clive.

I don't really understand what some people have against Origin Live. Every time somebody posts a comment in someway about OL (including myself) there is always a member that rocks-up with a negative comment.
    My experience with this company has always been nothing short of superb.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    I don't really understand what some people have against Origin Live. Every time somebody posts a comment in someway about OL (including myself) there is always a member that rocks-up with a negative comment.
    My experience with this company has always been nothing short of superb.
    My only experience is with the very original turntable kit they made. A vinyl platter and main bearing made from a high tensile bolt. Incredibly easy to make a very good sounding TT. If all their stuff is to this standard I can't see what anyone would have to complain about.

+ Reply to Thread