+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TD150 Converts Vinyl Sufferer

I'm ChrisB.

From The Grave

I thought some folks might find this thread interesting to read, so just pick off the fluffy bits, it'll be fine.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Since those early posts, I've revised my negative opinion on the Stanton 681EEE..

I never particularly liked a "loose Linn," as to me it just let everything hang out too much, but the early 1980's were, for me, a time of searching and wanting to "belong," as it was for many others it seemed. Linn and Naim had a wonderful, post-hippy "club" that we could belong to.

Was it really as bad as the OP made it to be? Thirty years on, I'd say yes, it was...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

I'm not a 'great' fan of the LP12 even though I sold hundreds of them over the years up until the 'Great Cull' when I was removed because I could no longer perform as Linn then demanded.

We always sold the LP12 in fair, comparative demonstrations against all manner of other turntables because it did sound good and better than most at that time. For my own tastes I preferred ancient 301's or 401's (yes even in the late 70's), the original Systemdek, Oracle and Tom Fletcher's designs.

But the LP12 did sound good and it was reliable, consistent and straight forward to set up once you had the nack. Some other turntables of the time were very poorly constructed, difficult to work on and very unreliable with no discernable backup. No names, no pack drill.

LP12's right from the original version can still be serviced and/or repaired with spares available from a network of dealers, though nowadays the prices might make you catch your breath especially if you have your LP12 set up by an 'expert'.

They are still very good turntables as a s/hand buy but not so as new because the prices have gone stratospheric and there are quite a few better sounding decks for less money. I don't believe they can be casually dismissed.IMO

I'm Nobody.

I wonder what aspect that people look upon TD150 & please stop refering them to LP12's.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Andr'e, a TD150 top plate is a perfect fit in an LP12 plinth, which makes a very good upgrade if you can find an old one.

The TD150 platters are far closer in dimensions to LP12 platters than they are separate, the motor is in practically the same place and so are the springs, give or take a mm or three. The one thing the LP12 has to its credit from the ancient days is the single point bearing, which Thorens had gone over to by 1973, the "oil bath" perhaps being the main difference back then.

I love the TD150 and like Lenco's, they seem to have sky-rocketed in price in recent times.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Andr'e, a TD150 top plate is a perfect fit in an LP12 plinth, which makes a very good upgrade if you can find an old one.

Nop it's very slightly different

I'm David.

To you maybe, but you're very fussy mate. An old friend, who had done stirling work with his ex-BBC 301, grafted his cheapo TD150 easily into an old LP12 plinth I had to hand and all he really had to do was make a trim piece down the right hand side to cater for the narrower Thorens arm-board. I seem to remember at the time he was using an Ortofon 212 tonearm (the one with magnetic bias correction) and these were almost giveaway in the early to mid eighties.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12