+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Pimlico

I'm Richard.

Default Greetings from Pimlico

A quick hello to introduce myself - I'm Richard, living as the user name suggests in Pimlico, London.

In my spare time I play the piano, classical, post Grade 8 standard, or even better if I practice properly. I'm a lapsed bass baritone and ought to be singing more. Listening is mainly classical, particularly chamber music, solo/duo piano, Baroque opera, vocal from early polyphony through Baroque, and German Lieder. I've recently fallen back in love with Wagner, and am off to Bayreuth next year for the Ring which will be a case of kill or cure I'm sure. In terms of modern rock or pop I tend to be more interested in more acoustic styles with varied harmonic structures rather than heavy rock.

Even though the quality isn't audiophile, I'm great Spotify fan, which can allow you to explore all sorts of new music. Often then I find myself buying CD's or LP's of things I've heard on it. The Chord DAC (see below) really does improve the quality of that sound.

I've based my system around classic Quad equipment which I've always had a bit of thing for ever since hearing my best friend's father's system way back when. He was one of the key engineering designers at Quad back in the Peter Walker era and was very heavily involved in the development of the ESL63.

The speakers I have at the moment are ESL 57's which have been overhauled by Quad to bring them back to standard with some new panels from Quad Germany who have the original manufacturing equipment from Quad UK, and in fact will still build you a Quad ESL 57 today. Main amplification comes from a mixture of valve (Quad II's with a full complement of Mullard/GEC valves) and solid state (Quad 303 or one of last 909's made in the UK). For preamps I have a choice of a Quad 44 which has had some upgraded internal components but retains the basic system architecture or a newer Quad 99. I'm great fan of the tone controls, particularly the tilt function, for sorting out poor recordings and especially older mono recordings.

The front end has had a bit of an upgrade recently and for vinyl I have a Rega P9 with an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Whest PS30 RDT. Digital comes from a Quad Elite CDS or from my MacBookPro via the rather marvellous Chord QuteHD DAC. For better or worse I'm not a great believer in fancy cables. The speakers are making do with some old Linn speaker cable from my first hifi system bought over 20 years ago. On the basis that it is better than bell wire and that last time I looked there seem to be quite a few strands of copper all twisted together I think Peter Walker would probably approve. Other cables are generally from Flashback Sales who are a great company for making up cables to fit all sorts of old Quad and Naim equipment together, with a few Chord Crimson's thrown in for good measure.

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Richard,
    Welcome to AoS.
    Thanks for a great first post! There a quite a few Quad fans who are members here.

Cheers

I'm Dave.

Hello Richard, welcome to AOS, as Chris said great first post.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Richard.

Great first post, trust you will find much of interest to you here on the forum.

Welcome again
    Barry (a fellow Quad enthusiast).
    Barry

synsei Guest

Hi Richard and welcome to AoS. I agree with Chris, Dave and Barry, that is a fabulous introductory post. I hope you enjoy your stay with us and I look forward to your future input (from a delighted owner of the excellent Quad 306)
    Last edited by synsei; 15-11-2013 at 20:30. Reason: typo

I'm Rob.

I used to have a girlfriend that went to Pimlico school in the 70's (Yes Eons ago!) fond memories though

Welcome.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by pimlicoquad View Post
    In my spare time I play the piano, classical, post Grade 8 standard, or even better if I practice properly. I'm a lapsed bass baritone and ought to be singing more. Listening is mainly classical, particularly chamber music, solo/duo piano, Baroque opera, vocal from early polyphony through Baroque, and German Lieder. I've recently fallen back in love with Wagner, and am off to Bayreuth next year for the Ring which will be a case of kill or cure I'm sure. In terms of modern rock or pop I tend to be more interested in more acoustic styles with varied harmonic structures rather than heavy rock.
    Welcome Richard.

What do you like to play on the piano? Rachmaninov, Scriabin and Ravel are my particular favourites to listen to ...

I wish I could still sing - was a chorister in my youth ... In the past copule of years I have fallen back in love with the kind of Renaissance choral music I used to sing - Byrd / Tallis / Palestrina etc

My mother will travel anywhere in the world to hear the Ring cycle which she is clearly addicted to ... Can't abide it myself - might enjoy some of the music but it's when they start to sing I lose interest ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Paul.

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm David.

Hi Richard

Welcome to the forum. Good choice with the 303!

I'm brian.

Like your style Richard, from a fellow newbie. Only up the road from you in Hampstead and funnily enough have always wanted to hear a quad panel speaker and p9 (used to own p5). Would be an interesting comparison against my shan speakers ( concrete type) Also own 306 and 405 quads plus an audio note meishu. Anyway good luck with the singing and piano playing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast