+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which headphones?

I was thinking of trying out the HD800, which I consider to be a blatant copy of the MDR-F1 technology at more than five times the price. But forking out more than a grand for a set of cans might be far too much for my piggy bank.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    But forking out more than a grand for a set of cans . . .
    That's the profit from a lot of Caiman sales, Stan.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Jim.

Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

Anyone know where I can get a HD-800 at a discount?

Default Similair Dilema

I would seem the 2 main favourites here are the HD650's and the K701's.

This is nice for me to hear as I have been thinking of upgrading my ageing Goldring DR150's to one of the sets above.
    Problem is, I am not sure which one is best suited to my kind of music. Most of the time I listen to rock/pop (like Dire Straits, Maroon 5, Seal, Crowded House, etc), Laid-back Trance (Kind of a mix between chill-out and dance music), Jazz and chill-out.

I have heard that the 701s provide a nicer sound stage, yet the 650s are a little easier on the ears.

Does anyone have an opinions regarding which set of cans is better suited to my music? Or any others to that matter? (I'm swaying more towards the K701 or K702 at the moment)
    Last edited by Carson; 10-12-2009 at 14:23.
    James

My System:
    Beresford Caiman (Murata Regs, Elna Silmic II, Rubycon Caps, Op-Amp Bypass & OPA2132P) QED Performance Optical
    Arcam DIVA A70 QED Reference Audio Evolution & QED Qonduit 1.5m Power Cord
    Dali Concept 6 (Custom Built Crossovers & Complete Re-Wire) QED XT Evolution & Airlocs
    BK Gemini 2 QED Performance Audio 1
    QED Qonduit Mains Conditioner QED Qonduit 1.5m Power Cord
    Denon AH-D5000, Shure SE210, Goldring DR150

My Projects:
    Caiman Re-Case Project

Don't forget to at least consider the excellently sounding and rarely mentioned Ergo Earspeakers. The best I've ever heard and very comfortable. the only downside is you have to keep your head relatively still.

The AMT is rather expensive, but the Ergo2 is 3/4 the way there at £189

Here's a review of the Ergo 2 : http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/h...nes/ergo2.html

And here's the UK distributers webpage: http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/browse.a...ufacturer=Ergo

Also have a read of this post (and the rest of the thread) http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/erg...6/#post3212182
    Last edited by Kris; 10-12-2009 at 14:42.

I'm Lee.

I was gonna start a new thread but I guess it's ok if I post here.

I was listening with my Grado SR80's today for around an hour or so and I'm finding them quite uncomfortable. It's as if the foam padding is not enough to keep the plastic innard from pressing onto my ear.

Do any other Grado owners have this problem?
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm notAlone.

Perhaps you can try gently "bending" them a little, so that the foam presses less on your head ?
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    Perhaps you can try gently "bending" them a little, so that the foam presses less on your head ?
    Yeah, I thought about that cos they are still new in terms of use, so they do press quite hard. I'll try bending them out.

Thanks
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I have SR60s which I think are similar - I've got a right fat head and not noticed a particular issue - I think they do slacken off a bit with use.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123