+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which headphones?

Default Which headphones?

Been thinking of buying some decent Headphones.

Nice Sennheiser 650 or Grados -- £300

But then I would need something to drive them cos my Beresford 7510 will fall over.

Buy a 7520? Attractive option. Or EMU 404 USB will also drive them.

But for a little more I could have basic Stax Electrostatics with energiser.

And then I note there is a Stax in ear phone for even less.

Has anyone heard these various options? Can anyone advise?

And where can I audition them?
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm ILOB.

The 7250 is suppused to drive AKG 701 well and these are really well balanced headphones so worth adding to the list
    http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-he...ze-headphones/
    A good introducrion to headphones and what to expect soundwise
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Hi Brian, The 7520 is more than capable. I use both AKG K701's and Senn. HD600's (I prefer the 600's over 650's - Not quite as bass heavy) and with a bit of experimenting with op-amps you can get just the sound you like.
    I love both these cans, but they are very different - The K701's are very revealing and detailed with a huge soundstage. The HD600's are a little more laid-back, superbly comfortable on the bonce and never tiring to listen to.

These are both open phones of course, but if your preference is for closed cans, take a look at Denon's or Audio Technica's offerings - They are both producing some superb kit.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by sponge View Post
    Hi Brian, The 7520 is more than capable.
    I don't doubt it, but for a little more I can have a Stax setup.

Now is it worth it? Only my ears can tell me, but what others ears tell them?

Thanks for the tips on other dynamic headphones.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Jerry.

Just a cautionary word. Be careful if you are tempted by earphones off ebay.
    I bought a a pair of Shure earphones which I thought very poor. When I went on the manufacturers website they warned about fakes. I contacted the seller who immediately refunded the money.
    There again at my age I should have remembered the old saying-if it seems too good to be true it probably is.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Steve.

Right I can tell you my Phones history and that may help.

I started off with Grado SR-125's - had a couple of amps. Creek, Chinese GW J1, Little Dot II+ to name a few.
    Then got some HD650's and never felt they were good enough.
    Then I got a Musical Fidelity X-Cans V3 with Rock Grotto mods (Caps and stuff). Still not happy.
    Then tried some tasty looking Audio Technical ATH-W1000's 2nd hand (£400 odd new) wood ones.
    I got a Graham Slee Solo amp (supposed to drive the HD-650's so well) and still I felt there could be more.

Then I found STAX! Even the basic 202's blow all the other's I've tried out of the water. I have the 2nd or 3rd up tranny amp.
    You can pay real mega bucks for some of them but law of diminishing returns.
    It was kind of instant - this is it. This is how phones should sound.
    Totally non fatiguing, excellent sound. They are just right!
    Job done. Don't feel the need to try others any more.

Of course they are not phones they are Earspeakers. The amp is an Energiser:-)

They are very open so no use if someone wants to sit in the room at the same time you are listening or vice versa.

I got my amp and phones 2nd hand with very little usage for £350 - less than the price of the AT's alone!
    Good luck.

Don't just watch out for Ebay but some of the affiliated sellers of Amazon have problems.
    I bought some AT ATH7's and they were counterfeit. The seller refunded and ceased trading them when I informed them with photo evidence I got off Headfi.
    Last edited by Magna Audio; 23-05-2009 at 19:51.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Avinash.

Off course if you are after the best.....you should listen to the AKG K1000's. I sold my Stax Omega 2 set-up after using these! Pity they have stopped making them.
    There are also the new Senheisser HD800's which are supposed to be excellent and far better then the HD650/HD600's. These should be out any time soon!
    The US based Headfi site will give you a lot more opinions and reviews.
    All the best.

Are there any integrated designs - DAC+Amp+Transducers?

Or any planned?
    Brian

I'm Steve.

The two integrated Dac + head amps I have tried have been the Beresford 7510 (I understand the 7520 to be better) and the Benchmark Dac1.

The Slee beat the Benchmark's amp for me.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Kevin.

I have a set of Sennheiser 650's and I have recently bought the 7520 to use as a headphone amp. I am pleased with the sound.

Before the 7520 I owned a Bantam XC headphone amp and T amp combined, and the 7520 sounds better to my ears.

Kevin
    Sennheiser HD650: Beresford 7520: Squeezebox Classic: 24" Intel iMac

Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast