+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Revealing speakers

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    It is dire but wasn't it originally chosen to represent the sound of tranny and car radios at that time ?
    That was more likely the Auratone 5c.

Craig, the thread topic is revealing speakers, not nice sounding speakers. Did RP denounce the use of NS10s per se or just the sound? I'm shooting no one here, this is all subjective at this point, but I'm intrigued to know what your mate made of this? Has he stopped using NS10s because RP doesn't like them? (Does anyone like them?! ;-) I'm not sure they do, that's not what I was suggesting to be fair).

All I can add is that I find regularly that the 'talent' I work with hate the sound of my kilatones but love the sound of the mixes I make on them when I play them back on my PMCs (and I know that I wouldn't make those mix decisions if I mixed purely on the PMCs). Point is that what's liked and what's revealing are not necesarily the same thing

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    Point is that what's liked and what's revealing are not necesarily the same thing
    Very good point, Marc. Some of the most incredibly revealing speakers I've ever heard have been horn loaded. I couldn't live with them, but boy do they bring up detail like no other kind. One exception is the Horning Agathon Ultimate, which is both revealing and a great speaker.

I'm Martin.

A story I read somewhere about the NS10 is that a London studion had no small monitors and they wanted something that would resemble domestic speakers in size so they sent a junior engineer out down the Tottenham Court Road and he came back with the NS10 which he had bought mainly because he liked the look of the white bass drivers. How true that is I have no idea.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678