+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lighter counterweight for an SL1200 arm

I'm Kevin.

Default Lighter counterweight for an SL1200 arm

Can anybody advise if there is there a different model Technics counterweight weighing in at around 75 to 80g that will fit an SL1200 arm?
    Rather than having to add mass to the head, this will give me options for lighter cartridges.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Jim.

Can you not adjust it to proper tracking with the current weight? Having the weight closer to the pivot is regarded as beneficial - to the end that in the manual for my Graham it is suggested to use the aux (additional) weight for the counterweight if possible within the range of adjustment, to keep the polar momentum to a minimum, as the heavier weight will be closer in.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Kevin.

I need the extra 3g on the headshell to get close to (but still under) the recommended tracking force, with the weight butted right up against the stop closest to the pivot.
    Kevin

I'm Jim.

Perhaps take the stock weight to a machinist and have it lightened or made smaller?
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Matt.

There's a Technics cartridge spacer available that adds 3g, or Isokenetic do a rather good version, but you need to glue that to the cart so its not for everyone (works a treat with a Denon 103R thou imho). Both available on fleabay,
    Notts Analogue SpaceDeck, Jelco 250, Ortofon SPU #1E / Zu Denon 103 - Allnic H-1201 - Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 - Mac Mini - Martin Logan Electromotion ESL

I'm Kevin.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I have the 3G cartridge spacer. I need more to keep the original counterweight and maintain the recommended VTF.
    Kevin

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

I thought a poster on this forum made bespoke counterweights? Shuggie??

EDIT: Or maybe it was "Speedy Steve"?

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...board-service!
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm Darren.

This is what I have going on:

IMG_4105.jpg
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

+ Reply to Thread