+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: usb to spdif conversion

I'm mark.

Default usb to spdif conversion

Hi. And thanks for reading this post.

My dac's usb input has stopped working but the optical and coaxial are still fine.

Looking inside there is a small circuit board on the back of the usb input which has a burn mark on it. Seems as though this has gone bad, so am wondering if i should buy an external usb to spdif converter and come in through the coaxial input instead.

Am wondering, within a dac, does the usb signal get converted to spdif, then fed to the coaxial input,
    in other words the dac does not use the usb signal directly
    but converts it into spdif, then uses that.

Hope that makes sense.

Many thanks in advance. John.

Which DAC is it first of all?

I'm mark.

Hi Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I have the zero dac.

I wasn't totally honest in my last post.

Honest truth is i wanted to try out a usb to spdif converter Have heard a lot of good stuff that they improve sound quality rather than using the dac's usb input but the wife keeps nagging saying i've got too much hi-fi stuff as it is and i should get rid of some.

But with the usb input burnt out now i have got an excuse

What do you think i should do.

1. Have the usb input repaired (@ $40 per hour + Parts + Vat )

2. Can pick up the M2Tech HiFace One version 2 for $50 (Used ) RRP: $180

Which do you think will give the best sound quality.

Many thanks in advance. John.

Quote Originally Posted by goodsguys View Post
    Have heard a lot of good stuff that they improve sound quality rather than using the dac's usb input but the wife keeps nagging saying i've got too much hi-fi stuff as it is and i should get rid of some.

But with the usb input burnt out now i have got an excuse

What do you think i should do.
    There are quite a few members on AoS who got rid of the wife and kept the hi-fi stuff. But I am not suggesting that you should follow their example. The M2Tech would be a cheaper option in the short run.

I'm Keith.

You are more than welcome to try an M2Tech HiFace 2, just send me your address,
    Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Hugo.

I am hugely impressed with this relatively cheap USB to S/PDIF converter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gustard-U1...item3a863e3be0 . Vintage Audio Lab provide really good service and I recommend them without hesitation. This converter does rather humiliate my previous M2Tech HiFace Evo converter in every respect. It also has ASIO support, which seems to be a Good Thing, to my ears.

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    I am hugely impressed with this relatively cheap USB to S/PDIF converter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gustard-U1...item3a863e3be0 . Vintage Audio Lab provide really good service and I recommend them without hesitation. This converter does rather humiliate my previous M2Tech HiFace Evo converter in every respect. It also has ASIO support, which seems to be a Good Thing, to my ears.
    I have never heard any converter at any price better the M2Tech EVO, are you sure you had it set up correctly?
    Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by purite audio View Post
    I have never heard any converter at any price better the M2Tech EVO, are you sure you had it set up correctly?
    Keith.
    I think the (well-documented) issue is the excessively high output of the M2Tech Evo, which clearly upset my Bushmaster DAC and, to a slightly lesser extent, the Lyngdorf digital amplifier. No such problems with the new converter.

I'm Keith.

The M2Tech EVO has completely 'normal' output voltages, see the specs pre of the manual
    http://www.m2tech.biz/public/pdf/hiF...nual%201-0.pdf

Dac issue perhaps!
    Keith.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

The specs don't mention the TOSLINK output voltage. But customers have mentioned that it is too high for a range of DACs.
    I was actually quite surprised to read in the spec sheet that it only goes up to 96KHz with TOSLINK. So playing 192KHz via TOSLINK on the EVO is not going to work. The coax output would then be the one to use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast