+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: IF cost was no objective what phonostage would you own?

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Why imbalanced? I've heard people say nice things about Allnic I'll put it on the short list.
    Well, I think a 10K stage warrants a better cartridge but then again you may not agree.

Origin Live TT/arm/IO/Kondo S6/MM stage of an Audio Note M5/Audio Note P4s/AN Es worked brilliantly - one of the best set ups I've come across for a vinyl front end.

That IO/Kondo thing really DOES work.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Another option might be a TRON Seven in whatever spec you can afford. I have a TRON Seven Reference built specially to match my Decca C4E. It is seriously good. If I had hods of cash, maybe I would go for a GT spec with separate PSU.
    Just been reading the review of the GT spec Tron, it's £10K give or take 50 quid. For a stage this expensive you'd need a few weeks with it.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Paul.

If cost was no object, then some of the very best phono stages would still be within reach as it seems to be another area where more cost doesn't = better performance. RIAA equalisation and gain stages are relatively straight forwards to implement, there's no magic involved. Those implemented really well can still be had for under a grand. I'd be very happy with a Graham Slee Era V with upgraded PSU. The power supply is often where short cuts are made.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    If cost was no object, then some of the very best phono stages would still be within reach as it seems to be another area where more cost doesn't = better performance. RIAA equalisation and gain stages are relatively straight forwards to implement, there's no magic involved. Those implemented really well can still be had for under a grand. I'd be very happy with a Graham Slee Era V with upgraded PSU. The power supply is often where short cuts are made.
    From an engineering point of view, seemingly true. But there's foo at play and I don't believe it is that clear cut.

Hearing an AN S3 SUT versus a Kondo S6 really makes you realise all is not as perhaps it seems. Unless an AN S3 is technically flawed, of course. Or the S6 is. If neither are, one of them is definitely doing something the other isn't in a way a room full of people can easily appreciate.

I'm peter.

How pleasant to be invited to spend as much as you want.....not an experience I am too familiar with. Anyway, in this fantasy I will have a Thomas Meyer handbuilt six box phonostage, with all transformers (a lot) in silver. With matching silver step-up. I suspect you could buy a very expensive Porsche for similar cash; if you're feeling generous, perhaps I could have both? 911 Carrera4S, in dark grey. Phonostage...whatever colour you nominate. My thanks. Most appreciative.
    If restricted to a measly 10k (spoilsport!) I'd be stuck....because your system could surely enjoy some of that cash sprinkled elsewhere. So, I'd replace your deck with a new SME 20-3. Sell your Technics and buy a Croft phonostage, the best you can afford.
    Or would you prefer the Porsche?

I'm Andrei.

If cost were no object I would think about the Zesto Audio Andros. I haven't heard it but it is a Class A Stereophile component, has lots of valves and looks £10Ks worth! I think I a positive review by Michael Fremer. As an aside I like his reviews as he does not make excuses about a product's shortcomings.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I totally agree with the latter - it is also what costs the most! Serious attention to power supply arrangements is one of the things that sets truly the BEST phonostages apart from the rest. Oh, and also glowing bottles (and a top-notch SUT), when implemented optimally with the right cartridge...

Another vote for the Allnic (a truly superb sounding device)!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

How about the top end Whest ?

The MC Ref is £9999 which seems to fit your budget

http://www.whestaudio.co.uk/phono-stage/mc_ref_v.php

One on offer ATM for £7999
    http://www.whestaudio.co.uk/phono-stage/b-grade.php
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Andy, in that scenario (if the Whest was chosen), would you be retaining the use of your ST-80 SUT? IME, to date, any MC cartridge I've heard has sounded eons better used via a quality SUT, than directly through the MC input of a phonostage.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Well, I think a 10K stage warrants a better cartridge but then again you may not agree.

Origin Live TT/arm/IO/Kondo S6/MM stage of an Audio Note M5/Audio Note P4s/AN Es worked brilliantly - one of the best set ups I've come across for a vinyl front end.

That IO/Kondo thing really DOES work.
    I've not heard any of the components that you list so I can't comment. I've a budget upto 10k, that's not to say that I would spend 10k.

I agree. I heard a tri chord Diablo and ncpsu compared to a whest 3.0rdtse and I thought the tri chord sent the whest packing with a clean pair of heels and was significantly cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinn View Post
    How pleasant to be invited to spend as much as you want.....not an experience I am too familiar with. Anyway, in this fantasy I will have a Thomas Meyer handbuilt six box phonostage, with all transformers (a lot) in silver. With matching silver step-up. I suspect you could buy a very expensive Porsche for similar cash; if you're feeling generous, perhaps I could have both? 911 Carrera4S, in dark grey. Phonostage...whatever colour you nominate. My thanks. Most appreciative.
    If restricted to a measly 10k (spoilsport!) I'd be stuck....because your system could surely enjoy some of that cash sprinkled elsewhere. So, I'd replace your deck with a new SME 20-3. Sell your Technics and buy a Croft phonostage, the best you can afford.
    Or would you prefer the Porsche?
    Thanks, but remember budget is upto 10k.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    How about the top end Whest ?

The MC Ref is £9999 which seems to fit your budget

http://www.whestaudio.co.uk/phono-stage/mc_ref_v.php

One on offer ATM for £7999
    http://www.whestaudio.co.uk/phono-stage/b-grade.php
    Yep heard the 3.0rdtse and my sugden and ortofon st80se SUT produced the same results and for about 1k less than the cost of the phonostage. I've never heard the V, so I presume it would be a massive step up in performance over the 3.0rdtse.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Andy, in that scenario (if the Whest was chosen), would you be retaining the use of your ST-80 SUT? IME, to date, any MC cartridge I've heard has sounded eons better used via a quality SUT, than directly through the MC input of a phonostage.

Marco.

I tried the whest 3.0rdtse with a the 80se and they simply didn't get on, I ended up sending the whest back for repair twice and eventually lost patience with it. The small amount of time that it did work I noticed I didn't get that much of an increase in performance over what I already had. I would have had to pay an extra grand for a very small Increase in performance. Finally, I may decide to upgrade the 80se with a choir sut.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast