+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long does it take to run-in a cartridge?

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Sorry but that's tickled me that has ha ha !! On a serious note I've read all sorts ranging from 20 - 50hrs which doesnt sound odd considering a lot of stylus's if looked after are good for 1000 hrs.
    That then poses an interesting question, if it takes 50 hrs to run the cartridge in, how long then before the Diamond/Cartridge is worn out?

I have read over the years that the stylus can last over 2000 hrs if looked after and by that I mean kept clean. Have any of you actually worn a stylus/cartridge out? There seem to be many cartridges out there that have lasted over forty years, which I can only assume means that they don't get used much.

I get the impression that you guys think it takes up to 50hrs to get a cartridge working at its best. Now I don't think that it's a big leap to ask how long will it last?
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Robert.

Have read and been told 1000 hrs approx, however if the case is as high as 2000 hrs (cared for, looked after) then I'm well pleased

I'm John.

My recent new 2M Black sounded good on first record and very good after approx. 8-10 hours.

I'm Paul.

Checked under a loupe, I have had 1200 hours from a stylus before a slight hook has started to appear (probably due to bias being out). Its simply not worth carrying on until the stylus doesn't track properly or where you hear distortion due to stylus mis-tracking...by then you will have ruined a good many records. A good rule of thumb is to check set-up every 6 months or so, even if you think nothing has changed, keep your LPs clean as this can make a big difference to stylus life and budget on changing a stylus or having an MC re-tipped about every 1200 hours. For the average enthusiast that equates to about 5 years regular use. If the stylus costs £100, that's only £20 per year or 5 pints at going rates. More for a decent re-tip.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by kor952 View Post
    My experience of the last few years with several new carts is that they need at least 40-50 hours to break in. Not only the suspension needs a breakin period but also the (copper) coils need a break in time just like SUTs need at least 40 - 50 hours to breakin.

Ronald.

I'm Hugo.

Benz state that their cartridges require around 50 hours of running-in, which would seem to correlate with my own experience. I assume that this is due to mechanical stuff, rather than electrical.

I'm Ronald.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Ever heard the difference between a brand new transformer and a transformer with some 50 hours play time? Why should only SUTs or OPTs need a break in time? The coils and magnets in a cartridge do work with the same principle.

I'm Geoff.

Many years ago, back in the sixties. New record players often came with sapphire styli and diamonds were for posh people. Needless to say the sapphire tips wore out in no time and sounded horrible, but people carried on using them until they just would not play at all. So it was more a case of running out than running in!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12