+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My mate

I'm john.

Quote Originally Posted by ledzep View Post
    Yeah i said a mismatch or something not right with the amp but hey he's its gone now so he's happy

Result

jon

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    Maybe its just the 'modern' voicing!! I'm sure one of the reasons for the 'pipe and slippers' comments about Quad is because hi-fi sound has become totally in yer face trying to sound like electric instruments which has nothing to do with reality.

I have always found Quad gear very musical and satisfying but then I'm an old git and ready for the pipe..........
    I too have been fond of Quad gear. Apart from the ELS 57's I listened to when collecting the amp, I am real real pleased to have my 405-2 back. My point about the Quad is not that it is "pipe and slippers" and I prefer "in your face". It is as good, and neutral and musical as most similar amps of its day and price. Much much better , much much more expensive amplifiers can sound a little better, as I am hoping Dan will confirm. Not "in your face" - very subtly more vibrant, clearer, fresher and yet warmer. Buggered if I know how to describe it - that's now Dan's job. We'll sort something before too long. Meantime,

I'm Paul.

The Puresound with Living Voice sounds like a mismatch rather surprisingly. I'm puzzled as forward and aggressive is not something I associate with Guy Sergeant's designs in spite of Hi-Fi Choices views ? Personally I wouldn't rely on their reviews that heavily.

I'm Shane.

Hmmmm.....

I've heard a Pure Sound A30 with Stirling LS3/5a V2 monitors. The sound was definitely a far cry from harsh/forward etc!!!!!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    The Puresound with Living Voice sounds like a mismatch rather surprisingly. I'm puzzled as forward and aggressive is not something I associate with Guy Sergeant's designs in spite of Hi-Fi Choices views ? Personally I wouldn't rely on their reviews that heavily.
    +1 (with bells on) in reference to both matters. Although the amp has now been moved on, it's important that others don't get the wrong impression.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dan.

Yes Marco,we all have our own tastes,likes,dislikes about things some love certain HiFi some hate it so its all ways good to get a home demo in your own environment if you can that way people will know if they can live with a new component if home demo not possible then ask people and see what feedback you get,don't take magazines and such for granted (we all know how they work) I had a couple of friends in the business.Have a home demo if poss and make your own mind up don't let people or media influence you.

I'm Josie.

The valves in that amp do make a big difference. It's not aggressive sounding, a little forward maybe but then some/a lot of people like that more invigorating sound.

In all honesty I believe he should have lived with it for more than just a couple of days. Out of interest, was the amp new?

In comparison to the quads it's like chalk and cheese, either way it's what pushes your buttons at the end of the day.

I don't take any notice of what the mags say about kit. If I'm fortunate enough to hear something they have reviewed I'll make my own mind up and not get drawn in to fluff.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Dan.

Yeah im buying something that a lot of mags and some people have slated big time, but for me it ticks all the boxes so goes to show have a listen for your self and see if you like it (i will be posting pictures soon of it) now that will be interesting to see and hear people's reactions

I'm joe.

This to me highlights the basic problem with subjective reviews; they really only 'work' for one person at a time. If someone says 'amplifier X sounds harsh', its admirers will probably pop up and say that he must be deaf, or that the one he listened to was clearly 'broken', or that he used the wrong cables, or that it needed burning-in. Trying to second-guess another's actual experiences is futile; he heard what he heard. Unless of course you want to go all objectivist and say that his experiences cannot be valid unless he listened under double-blind conditions.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by ledzep View Post
    Yeah still got my Quads wont ever sell them might buy another amp at some point but the Quads will be going nowhere.
    Said this loads of times - the 303 is delightful within its limits, but the 33 is a bit of a bottleneck and very much of its time - limited output before the line stage clips and severe band limiting, especially in the bass (it's weakest point as the bass sounds a bit 'mechanical' for want of a better word). Mine had the dada mods plus the worst of the bass filter removed (on the line stage anyway) and it was very much better, but summat like a Croft Micro Basic sees it off with ease I reckon

The mk1 405 doesn't seem to like loudspeakers very much (cough ) but the 405-2 is a different animal when pushed. Love this one as well, although a stock Quad one needs several hours power to remove a slight tinsel effect (heard on two samples used at length at home and with different speakers). I suspect the tune-ups with modern parts here and there would remove this, since the 606 onwards doesn't suffer from this at all
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123