+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jriver mc19 volume levelling

I'm Marc.

Just repeated experiment with a track from the first Beautiful South album (Sail this ship alone) which has spades of headroom (indeed the highest peak is -3.1dB) and there's a good 14dB of dynamic range. Same result.

Also a salutory lesson in the precision that this test is able to muster. I sample align the files by eye, I pick an obvious feature in the wave and line it up, gradually zooming in until I'm at single sample resolution and happy that it's right. At first it wouldn't quite cancel so I thought I'd got the alignment wrong, so I nudged the track one sample along and the cancellation failed completely. When I set it back and set the volume by typing in the actual figure I wanted (rather than moving the fader which was jumping me between -3.38 and -3.42) then the cancellation happened properly.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post

see if I can make a different result, but this initial test seems to indicate that any difference people are hearing is more likely down to the gainstaging of their Hi-Fi chain and is not a product of volume change being applied to the file per-se.
    Rats! Hate to read that kind of research. I'll try it again, but be more adventurous with volume.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stockwell View Post
    Rats! Hate to read that kind of research. I'll try it again, but be more adventurous with volume.
    With a freer hand with the volume control, I now can't hear anything untoward with R128 volume equalization. I didn't expect that!
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.