+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RFC MC1 step up transformer - member review

I'm Lawrence.

Default RFC MC1 step up transformer - member review

The RFC MC1 step-up is a relatively new product, hand built by Paul Coupe of Reference Fidelity Components.

This is what it looks like plumbed into my Puresound P10 MM valve phone stage, the source being a Linn LP12 with a Dynavector DV20X2-L MC cartidge.

Specifications are on the RFC website.

I was looking for an SUT as an alternative to my Lentek, the main reason being that the Lentek requires a 9v battery. I was finding that the performance of the Lentek degrades slightly unless the battery is fairly new, so a fully passive SUT seemed to be the solution and the RFC1 prototype had been extremely well received on AOS.

I feel it's important firstly to complement Paul on his communication and customer care. All emails were answered promptly, we discussed and agreed the appropriate gain settings for my cartridge, he kept me fully informed about how long it would take to manufacture (I believe the transformers are hand-wound by a supplier), I was offered a trial first and the unit was manufactured and delivered exactly as promised.

When I first plumbed everything in I had the dreaded issue of hum. This took a bit of tracking down, with a lot of help from Paul and a modification to the grounding arrangements inside the MC1 that was carried out extremely quickly and free of charge.

Now I have completely eliminated the hum (even at full volume it is silent) I have been enjoying experiencing what the MC1 can bring to the party. Describing what one hears is never easy, the sound stage is still there and very three-dimensional, the treble sounds clean and realistic (cymbals sound like cymbals) and the base is natural and well balanced. I am enjoying working through my record collection again, finding myself enjoying the music rather than listening out for the performance of different components. This for me is an excellent outcome.

Once again, I can't say enough about how helpful, polite and professional I have found RFC to be and heartily recommend the RFC MC1 for those of you wanting to use a low output MC cartridge into an MM phono stage.

Lawrence

I'm Dave.

I hope that Pani ( 6 posts below ) is reading this.

I'm Andy.

Welcome to the RFC SUT1 club Lawrence, it really is a good unit, does not get in the way of the music! Well pleased with mine.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Lawrence. Glad that the unit is hitting the spot! Paul makes some very nice stuff

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Bob.

Interesting review Lawrence thanks. Does this mean the SUT needs to go back to RFC if you change from your Dynavector or are there any user configurable bits inside?
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Interesting review Lawrence thanks. Does this mean the SUT needs to go back to RFC if you change from your Dynavector or are there any user configurable bits inside?
    Hi Bob,

The unit would need to go back to RFC if you needed to alter the gain. There's nothing user configurable inside - no dip switches. According to the RFC website "The MC1 will suit a wide variety of low output moving coil cartridges from 0.25mV to 0.8mV output with a self impedance up to 40 Ohms. The SUT comes standard loaded for 100 Ohms cartridge loading but can also be loaded to any other value for no extra charge. "
    If I recall correctly, my cartridge is 0.3mV and is towards the lower end of the range. Paul also has a design that produces even more gain than mine, it's a little more expensive due to the nature of the internals required to achieve this.

Lawrence

I'm Paul.

Hi gents;

thank you for your thoughts on the MC1 Lawrence, just delighted that it's hitting the spot for you.

To answer Bob's point, I provide a fee service to re-configure the unit for a change of cartridge within the standard 24 month warranty period. Loading is a very mis-understood area when it comes to SUTs. The reason that minimum loading is specified is more to do with protecting the tiny wiring of the cartridge coils than for SQ reasons. It's to prevent current over-draw which might otherwise damage the wiring.

The secondary loading issue is the effect, particularly HF on SUT performance...some SUTs prefer 2ndary loading as it adds electrical damping which reduces HF ringing, whereas some perform best with primary loading. The reasons are connected to the SUT design and specification and the leakage reactance of the SUT. Where possible, there are benefits to using a low step up ratio over a high one, providing that your amp has sufficient gain. The HF correction is often easier to deal with. I've successfully used a 1:10 with cart outputs as low as 0.25mV with no issues. As Lawrence says, there are higher outputs which can be provided, but these require more work/circuitry on the secondary windings side. Also, just to clear up one point, the SUTs are made to my required specifications but I'm doubtful that they are actually hand wound. As far as I am aware, they are wound on a machine programmed for some fairly exacting spec's in a multi-leaf high bandwidth design. This machine does not reside in China and has never been there on holiday by the way

+ Reply to Thread