View Poll Results: Please vote for your preferred amplifier.

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Croft Micro 25 pre & 7 power

12 75.00%
  • Audio Innovations Series 500 integrated

4 25.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Croft or Audio Innovations

I'm Dan.

Default Croft or Audio Innovations

OK here's a new one let's see what happens with this survey. OK Croft micro 25 & 7 power amp or Audio Innovations S500 integrated?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

What happened the last time?

The S500 is nigh on twenty years old and because of the stock bits inside, MAY need a damned good seeing to by a qualified engineer, together with a new set of valves. As I said before, its distinctive sonic character may well be worth the trouble and expense - your choice guv'nor

The Croft stuff isn't old enough to really need anything doing to it and has minimal valve content. Glenn knows more than enough to ensure VERY long line stage valve life and the circuit isn't fussy on the need for boutique bits either, working perfectly fine (measurably and audibly) as supplied

I said it before, but if the AI visuals really appeal, then why not save for a First Audio power amp (I think there was a Second Audio as well, but memory is vague here) with matching preamp) as these really did sound good as I remember (an old friend had a couple of sets a few years ago, with the recommended Void turntable and big Snell [C's?] speakers and it sounded really lovely!)
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dan.

So what you are saying is (please correct me if im wrong) if its down to looks then the AI would be the one to go for?

I'm Shane.

If you don't like the AI500, sell it on, surely you will get what you paid back!!!

I'm Dave.

I believe Dave was saying that if the Audio Innovations appeals because of the styling - then save and buy instead a 'First Audio' power-amp from Audio Innovations. These were SETs and needed to be used in a completely matched system using their own pre, cables and Snell speakers. Ignore the careful matching at your peril. They did look nice though !!!

Very few of these were made and they will need some work if they are original.

I'm James.

I vote Croft... Even though I've never heard/used any.

I've only ever heard good things, the mans still in business [for good reason] any issues/upgrades/mods you can pretty much converse with the man that conceived & built them... The AI is an old amp from a defunct company in almost certain need of a service.

I'm Dan.

That's fair enough but if astechics doesn't come into it because after all a nice looking amp doesn't hallways make a nice sound then what would people go for? If the AI came in flat metal boxes with out valves on show would they be as popular as they are?

I'm Simon.

I can't comment on the audio innovations, but I have a micro 25 and it's a great little pre amp. I did hear it demoed with a 7 power amp and it sounded lovely.
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    I vote Croft... Even though I've never heard/used any.

I've only ever heard good things, the mans still in business [for good reason] any issues/upgrades/mods you can pretty much converse with the man that conceived & built them... The AI is an old amp from a defunct company in almost certain need of a service.

I'm Andy.

Audio Al kindly lent me his Croft Micro Basic to use as a phono stage, coupled with RFC SUT1 l am getting sounds that l have no right in getting with the cost of the units involved
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast