View Poll Results: Please vote for your preferred amplifier.

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Quad 44 & Quad 606

6 66.67%
  • Audio Innovations Series500 integrated

3 33.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quad or Audio Innovations

I'm ChrisB.

Quite right Dan.
    Bob - we can surmise from your first post that you'd prefer the Quad. If you want to vent about how inadequate valve amps are, then the place for that would be on another thread.

Back to the matter in hand.

I'm Gone.

I do t take offence even if someone thinks I'm crazy or just plain stupid for my choices. After all, it's only me who has to listen to my bits and the same with anyone else

What I will say though is that the best amps I've had, whether valve or solid state, seem to have more similarities than differences. My Puresound and My NVAs for instance, differ very little in terms of tonal balance and presentation. I don't hear massive distortion from the valve amp, so. I don't worry if measuring equipment can pick it up.
    I have left AOS.

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by ledzep View Post
    Ok please dont turn this into a slagging match,simple answers just seeing how the percentages come out. Yes we all have our preference's but it's good to see what the majority would for and hear their views without knocking one or the other.
    It wasn’t my intention to start a slagging match. I was giving my honest opinion as to which I believe was the better choice. I merely tried to qualify my choice. Anyone can say that A is better than B or that Z is better than Q but isn’t it better to say why? I don’t get all defensive if someone doesn’t like transistor amplifiers and I don’t think they are being rude for saying so, just less informed.

I'm Richard.

Bob - I've started a thread

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by loo View Post
    Woah Bob Sorry but some of the widest bandwidth lowest distortion amps made are valve And many sound engineers crave valve equipment
    Really?
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by cloth-ears View Post
    Telling someone that their new baby is ugly and has big ears is “insulting and insensitive”; giving an opinion on valve amplifiers is not. I suppose those on rocky ground are the easiest to push over. If this makes you feel better…………
    I am quite happy with my choices - all of them - but I am not happy with aggressive, derogatory, hostile posting styles - yours above falls into that category in my opinion. It is quite possible to share a negative opinion on anything with out being insulting.

Neil
    Regards Neil

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Really?
    no I admit the distortion bit is bollox but whether it matters depends on what species of Bat is hearing it
    Paul

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I am quite happy with my choices - all of them - but I am not happy with aggressive, derogatory, hostile posting styles - yours above falls into that category in my opinion. It is quite possible to share a negative opinion on anything with out being insulting.

Neil
    You think that my comments are “hostile and aggressive”. I think you chose your avatar wisely.
    PS does this mean no Christmas card?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

To try and bring this thread back on track, I ought to point out that the Quad 405, 520, 606, 707 and 909 power amp designs all use the "current dumping" circuit topology. Some have described this as having a 'grey sound', though I believe that criticism really only applied to the 405-1.

The 606 was a development of the 510/520 design, themselves a development of the 405. Both the 606 and 909 reperesent excellent value for money, though if you choose to buy one of the latter, make sure it was built in Huntingdon. Since Quad was sold to the Chang brothers and manufacture moved to China, word has got out that the later versions built there have used inferior, locally-sourced components in their construction (capacitors in particular), to the detriment of sound quality. Beware!

Again The Audio Innovations 500 is an excellent 25w/channel valve amp. I have had extensive exposure to this amp and regard it as one of the better valve designs. Sadly the company is no longer in business, so should you buy one and it needs service you will have to look elsewhere.

I'm going to avoid commenting on the pros and cons of the EL34 valve (I'm not really qualified to do so), save to say I regard the AI 500 as a 'modern day' Radford STA25 III, with a built in preamp.
    Barry

I'm Dan.

Barry nice answer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast