View Poll Results: Please vote for your preferred amplifier.

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Quad 44 & Quad 606

6 66.67%
  • Audio Innovations Series500 integrated

3 33.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad or Audio Innovations

I'm Dan.

Default Quad or Audio Innovations

Here's one for you just a little survey, Quad 44 & Quad 606 or Audio Innovations S500 int ?

I'm ChrisB.

Is this a philosophical question or a hi-fi one?
    If it's a hifi one, we need to know 'what with'

I'm Dan.

Just a hifi one see what people would go for simple as that. Just interesting to what people would choose no lengthy discussions just one or the other.

I'm ChrisB.

But what would the amp be used with? I'm not sure how anyone can give a meaningful answer unless they have a little more information.
    Speakers? Source? Room size? Taste in music......

I'm Neil.

If you offered me the Quad for my Series 500 I would decline your offer. If you tried to take it from me it would be from my cold dead hands.

Much depends on speakers but if they are 89 db (and upwards) and a fairly easy load then go for the S500 - after a suitable audition - mandatory with any hifi purchase. Oh yes get rid of the EL34s it comes with and fit 6L6s or 5881 valves - the Tung Sol 5881s are very nice. And as a final thought give it plenty of ventilation.

The amp will benefit from an aftermarket mainscable, valve dampers and being sited on an isolation platform.

Regards Neil
    Regards Neil

I'm paul.

Audio Innovations no contest

I'm Dan.

Looking good for Audio Innovations

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'm not a fan of the AI 500 I'm afraid, finding the soft and velvety tone just too 'nice' to be true myself. It looks good though and surviving ones must obviously have been reasonably well made, as some at the time used to melt-down due to inappropriate component-coupling.

The Quad, although not perfect (especially older 44's), gives a far more realistic view of what's really there in the source, although later Quad preamps (and others not made by Quad) almost certainly offer more transparency to the source, without stomping their sonic 'flavour' all over the music.

In terms of 'musicality' and 'niceness' of tone, the AI500 may well appeal hugely. It looks good and uses valves too so it really has to be a heart choice. I wish 'real life' sounded this way, but I'm afraid it doesn't. The separate pre and power amps that AI made in similar style were far more to my taste and I have very fond memories of these
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Jez.

Quad 606 but with passive pre.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Dan.

Getting interesting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast