+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's a lucky boy then?

I'm Bob.

During the 70’s I was working my way through university in a large service department for a well known Hi-Fi chain. I observed that people had two choices. Buy British, excellent sound but poor reliability and even poorer build quality or buy from aboard, excellent build quality and reliability but not so good sound.

Even today I can see that some so called British “high end” equipment looks like it was built in a shed by some beardy bloke using a set of Wentworth spanners whereas even the cheapest foreign one-box stereo is a beauty to behold. Why can’t we do both.

The only exception I can see is, or rather was our speakers. Beautiful finish and sound.

I'm Steve.

Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    How many birthdays?

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by cloth-ears View Post
    During the 70’s I was working my way through university in a large service department for a well known Hi-Fi chain. I observed that people had two choices. Buy British, excellent sound but poor reliability and even poorer build quality or buy from aboard, excellent build quality and reliability but not so good sound.

Even today I can see that some so called British “high end” equipment looks like it was built in a shed by some beardy bloke using a set of Wentworth spanners whereas even the cheapest foreign one-box stereo is a beauty to behold. Why can’t we do both.

The only exception I can see is, or rather was our speakers. Beautiful finish and sound.
    We can - but it adds tons to the price. The problem is volume. If you are shifting enough boxes you can lower unit costs and pay for that sort of engineering - although usually these days still end up shoving it out to China to do at 1/5th the price because our workers get more than a bowl of rice . Here is an example of one done properly - 13 made, 11 sold, company folded immediately afterwards - UK market impenetrable and locked up by other brands

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'll open another thread about valve amplifiers

I'm Bob.

We can - but it adds tons to the price. The problem is volume. If you are shifting enough boxes you can lower unit costs and pay for that sort of engineering - although usually these days still end up shoving it out to China to do at 1/5th the price because our workers get more than a bowl of rice . Here is an example of one done properly - 13 made, 11 sold, company folded immediately afterwards - UK market impenetrable and locked up by other brands

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

OK, that is indeed a beauty but I fear the exception to the rule. Anyway, today with 3D printing and computerised CNC machines making prototyping costs easily affordable there is no excuse for painted tin boxes that are pop riveted together. We really should try harder IMHO.

I'm ChrisB.

Am I the only one who thinks it looks awful? I thought so when I first saw photos of it in that copy of HFN/RR, and I still do now.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks it looks awful? I thought so when I first saw photos of it in that copy of HFN/RR, and I still do now.
    Nope.

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    Nope.
    Never mind the looks, it’s the build quality. Beats most Brit offerings on engineering alone.

I'm paul.

Had not seen this when I first read the valve amp thread, now I understand and yes you are a lucky lucky b*&%tard a pip2 and an Intergral in a week wanna buy me a lottery ticket
    having said that I bet you I can better it sound wise with a glass bottled jobbie
    enjoy your weekend looks like your gonna
    Paul

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12