+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Leak Trough-Line Tuner a History.

I'm Nick.

Adrian - this link may help you identify your local transmitter, and get your aerial set up correctly. If you employ the services of a professional fitter, they should know the appropriate configuration and direction to point the aerial as well. But it pays to know anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/trans...io/index.shtml
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian B View Post
    Thaks DSDL

I live in N London not far from Ally Pally - does that still transmit?

It's a LTL Stereo by the way. My new listening room (also known as a study as far as my wife-to-be is concerned) is just below the loft space so that looks like a good solution.

Adrian
    Hello Adrian,

No, Alexandra Palace stopped transmitting years ago. Your nearest FM transmitter will be Wrotham; the same as for me. It is one of the more powerful transmitters in the country, so where you live in North London, you should only need a simple aerial - a bit of 'wet string' ought to do!

If you are going to put the aerial in the loft, make sure that any aluminised roof felting that is in line with the aerial has the aluminium layer removed, as it will tend to screen out the FM signal.

Barry

I'm Adrian.

Thanks fo rthose replies. Wrotham it is, but that was also true where I used to live (closer to S London) and reception was not particularly good then. So, if I do get a loft aerial I will be careful. Obviously, given that I now have a dedicated listening room/study, I can experiment with all sorts of ugly pieces of string first.

Adrian

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian B View Post
    Thanks for those replies. Wrotham it is, but that was also true where I used to live (closer to S London) and reception was not particularly good then. So, if I do get a loft aerial I will be careful. Obviously, given that I now have a dedicated listening room/study, I can experiment with all sorts of ugly pieces of string first.

Adrian
    Don't take my 'wet string' remark literally; you ought, however, to be able to manage very nicely with a very simple loft mounted dipole. Around twenty years ago I demonstrated to a friend of mine, living near Alexandra Palace, that his Quad valved tuner (the FM2) would work quite well by simply touching a long, thin, screwdriver to the centre contact of the coaxial aerial socket!

Regards
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456