+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streaming advice needed.

I'm Shane.

Default Streaming advice needed.

Funny how you don't realise how little you know about something until you try to explain it to someone else.

After a long time when for various reasons he wasn't that bothered, my brother has recently revived his interest in hifi, and has discovered computer audio. He's had his old Quad 57s and 44/405 rebuilt, and has been using them in his study fed from the USB output of his Vista desktop PC via one of those Chinese 4396 Ebay DACs. Music is all stored on the PC's internal hard drive although he also has a USB hard drive available.

He's quite happy with all of that, but has now decided he wants to move the Quad amp and speakers into his sitting room whilst retaining the ability to feed the DAC into an ancient Armstrong 621 and a pair of surprisingly good Quad 11L2 speakers he's got knocking around for when he's listening in the study. This means that we need to find a way to feed the system in the sitting room from the PC in the study.

The obvious choice would be a Squeezebox, but I'm reluctant to send him off to look for second-hand gear of unknown provenance, 'cos I know what'll happen.

What's the simplest (and cheapest) alternative?

Oh yes, there is a pair of ancient and horrible phono-phono leads about 20' long buried under the floor from one room to the other, but it's not possible to put in any other cabling without ripping up the recently laid flooring and carpet, which isn't going to happen!
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Has he got a laptop?
    Foobar & USB DAC could be one way to go.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Val.

Airport Express into DAC with Toslink. Best when running on ethernet, so homeplug an option.

The internal DAC is terrible, but plugged in to a decent external one is really rather good. Only 16/44.1 but is bit perfect (unlike Apple TV).

Val
    Amplification: Self built Nick Gorham el84 loaded 6080 valve line stage feeding Silk TVC's > Lyngdorf RP-1 > Self built 5687/300b PP ITX based on Lundahl & O'Nectics iron feeding Mid & Top and JBL MPA600 on Bass duties.
    Speakers: JBL 4344

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Val33 View Post
    Airport Express into DAC with Toslink. Best when running on ethernet, so homeplug an option.

The internal DAC is terrible, but plugged in to a decent external one is really rather good. Only 16/44.1 but is bit perfect (unlike Apple TV).

Val
    Yes I'd agree with Val about Airport Express - used a couple happily for several years in 2nd systems. However only really ok if you are using itunes.

However since getting a Linn DS and valve DAC, along with a QNAP Nas, I've been storing huge amounts of Flac files as my main source.

Discovered a very neat way of playing Flac files through an app called Plug Player on my iphone.
    Shove that in a dock and it plays acceptably well...and access to all my library.
    Haven't even bothered with a dac to be honest, as its mostly background or kitchen music
    Of course ..all this pre supposes that you have wifi router set up etc.

I'm John.

Another cheap way to get a stream from the wireless is through an Apple TV device ($99USD). It would have to have a television for one time to set it up, then it can go headless, using an iPhone app to select the music. This also requires the use of iTunes. The ATV can access either the library on the local PC, or there's an option called iMatch that lets you access your iTunes library through "the cloud". This a fee service, $25/year.

Hope that helps, John

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Val33 View Post
    (unlike Apple TV)l
    Hi Val,

I currently use a Squeezebox Touch but was planning on using my Apple TV for music if the Squeezebox were to die... can you elaborate more on the above please as I am unclear

Thanks

Paul.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    I currently use a Squeezebox Touch but was planning on using my Apple TV for music if the Squeezebox were to die...
    Let's hope that never happens. There will be a plunge in SQ.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Let's hope that never happens. There will be a plunge in SQ.
    Really Stan?

What is wrong with the AppleTV then for audio?

Paul.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

Limited to 16 bit/48Khz max. All those lovely 96 and 192KHz 24 Bit files will never be enjoyed in all their glory.

I'm Mike.

Firstly it's 16/48 only... Red Book format gets resampled into this...
    And it doesnt presnt 16/44,1 material nearly as good as an AirPort Express.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast