+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under-priced (and/or) underrated

I'm Gone.

Default Under-priced (and/or) underrated

I really like the overpriced thread but I felt the other side of the coin would also be helpful, so here it is.

For me, there are a few real gems out there, and I'm intrigued to learn of more. Here are a few of my faves.

Revolver turntable. These sometimes go for as little as thirty quid with a Jelco arm,only a bit more with LVX. Nice decks for next to Nowt. Revolver rebel goes for even less but is still a reasonable entry level deck.

Dynaco A25. Prices vary from £50 to £100 plus but I think they easily beat the likes Snell/audio Note K and even J. A classic stand-mount.

Rega Ela. Still one of my favourite speakers. Musical, satisfying and always get out of the way to let you enjoy the music. Regularly go for under £100 and come with an integral stand.

Royd Eden. Typically go for £100 and to my ears are massively superior to both Linn Kans and LS3/5A

A&R A60, QED A 240 and Creek 4040. I've put these together because they commonly trade hands for very little and are all lovely amps that I still enjoy listening to.

Pioneer A400x. I rate this far more than its older sibling, the A400. Sixty quid will get you a seriously good amp, just don't expect a great phono stage, especially MC.

Linn LK1/280. Not much love out there for these, but I've compared them directly to big Naim and Exposure. For me, they didn't finish last! LK2 is not far behind and the pair will probs be circa £200. Drive almost anything.

Loads more out there, I'm sure.
    I have left AOS.

I'm Adam.

I know Andre's with me on this one but I nominate Quantum Electronics amplifiers. Yes, they're a bit industrial-looking, they don't have many inputs and, in true british 'cottage industry' style, they're a bit fragile, but they sound superb.

Also, a bit of a controversial one but I also nominate the Leak Stereofetic tuner. All anyone ever says about this poor little item is that it's "not as good as a Troughline". Yes, yes, whatever - maybe it isn't, but it's still a damn fine little tuner in its own right, it doesn't require complex servicing, fettling and setup and the last one I bought in excellent condition and full working order cost me £12! I dread to think what sort of state a £12 Troughline would be in...

There are loads of others including the 1980s B&O Beocord 5000 cassette deck (which wipes the floor with most budget Nakamichis), Goodmans Maxim 2s, the Pioneer PL12D (£20-worth of turntable just shouldn't sound this good!), the Garrard 86SB Mk2 etc. etc.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I know Andre's with me on this one but I nominate Quantum Electronics amplifiers. Yes, they're a bit industrial-looking, they don't have many inputs and, in true british 'cottage industry' style, they're a bit fragile, but they sound superb.

Also, a bit of a controversial one but I also nominate the Leak Stereofetic tuner. All anyone ever says about this poor little item is that it's "not as good as a Troughline". Yes, yes, whatever - maybe it isn't, but it's still a damn fine little tuner in its own right, it doesn't require complex servicing, fettling and setup and the last one I bought in excellent condition and full working order cost me £12! I dread to think what sort of state a £12 Troughline would be in...

There are loads of others including the 1980s B&O Beocord 5000 cassette deck (which wipes the floor with most budget Nakamichis), Goodmans Maxim 2s, the Pioneer PL12D (£20-worth of turntable just shouldn't sound this good!), the Garrard 86SB Mk2 etc. etc.
    +1
    I have left AOS.

I'm Bob.

Philips Turntable GA 212. I picked one for a tenner. Could not believe just how good it sounded.

I'm James.

Not telling as I want to keep them bargains

... Superlux headphones are a bargain.

I'm Shane.

Townshend Elite Rock II with out a question!!

I'm Martyn.

An underrated speaker is the original Wharfedale Diamond. Try it on the end of a system such as a Naim CD / Quad 33/303 combination. You will be very surprised...

I'm Martin.

Or the Diamond IV - can still hold it's own 25 years on, only about twenty squid on eBay.

I don't know if it is still true but Ruark loudspeakers also used to be stupidly cheap on eBay, probably 'cause it is quite an obscure brand outside serious hi-fi circles.

I've said it before I know but JBL's Control One will give a lot of pricey miniature speakers a pasting, for about £70 new.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

Whafedale Diamond IV Loudspeakers - one of the best and last 'British' Whafedale designs which you can get them for as little as £20-30 squid!

Naim CDI - Magical player which shortly before it was discontinued retailed for £2,200 can be had for £400-600 dependant on condition (have to watch out for faulty Mechanisms!)

Epos ES-14 Loudspeakers - Great speaker which can be had for as little as £200 which is a true bargain (make sure you get the dedicated stands for the best results!).

Marantz CD65IISE - I had one of these babies and it was an excellent piece of kit, i've seen them on Fleabay for as little as £10.00.

Sony CDP-X339ES / Sony CDP-X559ES - Again great CD players if you can find them and usually go for in the region of £100.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm george.

+1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast