Thread: Phono stage heresy

I'm Richard.

I have both. Tricky playing em both at the same time though

I'm Richard.

I've been propositioned! It's like being at a teenage prom

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    I've been propositioned! It's like being at a teenage prom
    Its better than being prepositioned - if I'm not teaching my grammer to suck eggs.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I've always been satisfied with the phono boards of the Quad 44. The only other phonostages I have heard have been the Hafler DH101 (MM only) and the Linn LINNK (MC only, and obviously designed for the Linn Asak). IMHO they are similar but no better than the Quad.

The EMT 135 equalisation amplifier fitted to the EMT 930 deck is obviously designed to be used with the TSD-15 cartridge, is pretty good and on a par with the above.

However the best phonostage I have heard to date is the Mark Levinson ML-25 (both for MM and MC cartridges) used with the ML-26 preamp.

Since all pickup cartridges are essentially balanced devices, I am on the lookout for a truly balanced phonostage, that is has balanced input and outputs. The Aquos looks like it could fit the bill, but it has had some indifferent reviews.
    Barry

I'm Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Since all pickup cartridges are essentially balanced devices, I am on the lookout for a truly balanced phonostage, that is has balanced input and outputs. The Aquos looks like it could fit the bill, but it has had some indifferent reviews.
    Hi Barry:

I think you mean "Aqvox".

I've owned the Aqvox for about 5 years now and although IMO it is a phenomenal phono stage and great value (I have no desire to ever really upgrade from it at this stage), it is a bit of a quirky product and I would only recommend it to someone who intends to run balanced from the table straight into the Aqvox with a high quality low output MC, preferably one with a low internal impedance.

In "unbalanced" mode, there is nothing particularly special about the Aqvox. In balanced mode with the right MC, I believe it can hold its own with some very pricey phono stages, or at least units 3-4X its price, and many of the reviews do indeed report that.

The Aqvox also probably works best with low output moving coils which also have a low internal impedance, say from 3-15 ohms. So it's best to be used with a low output, low impedance MC with a balanced tonearm lead. Do that and you will be very, very happy with it. Using a MM or high output MC into the unbalanced inputs of the Aqvox would be a waste of money IMO.

The best stage that I've ever heard is the battery powered ASR Basis Exclusive, although I did hear it in a much better system than mine.

I'm Deleted.

Project is about to launch a fully balanced phono amp - input and output - £600 I believe.
    Account Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    Hi Barry:

I think you mean "Aqvox".

I've owned the Aqvox for about 5 years now and although IMO it is a phenomenal phono stage and great value (I have no desire to ever really upgrade from it at this stage), it is a bit of a quirky product and I would only recommend it to someone who intends to run balanced from the table straight into the Aqvox with a high quality low output MC, preferably one with a low internal impedance.

In "unbalanced" mode, there is nothing particularly special about the Aqvox. In balanced mode with the right MC, I believe it can hold its own with some very pricey phono stages, or at least units 3-4X its price, and many of the reviews do indeed report that.

The Aqvox also probably works best with low output moving coils which also have a low internal impedance, say from 3-15 ohms. So it's best to be used with a low output, low impedance MC with a balanced tonearm lead. Do that and you will be very, very happy with it. Using a MM or high output MC into the unbalanced inputs of the Aqvox would be a waste of money IMO.

The best stage that I've ever heard is the battery powered ASR Basis Exclusive, although I did hear it in a much better system than mine.
    Hi Blake,

Yes, it was the Aqvox I had in mind. It would be used with either an SME arm or a Breuer arm, both having their arm leads replaced with balanced-line cables terminated in Cannon XLR connectors. The Aqvox output would then run into either a Mark Levinson ML26 or 28 preamp, both of which are dual mono fully balanced designs.

Regarding cartridges, they would be EMT or Ortofon SPU, though I would like to try a Koetsu. Can the Aqvox be switched to MM mode, whilst still being balanced? - I like to use a Decca cartridge from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN
    Project is about to launch a fully balanced phono amp - input and output - £600 I believe
    Yes, I have heard about this. I believe Hi-Fi Choice magazine ran a favourable review of this phonostage a few months back. I shall have to investigate further.

Thanks
    Barry

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    Its better than being prepositioned - if I'm not teaching my grammer to suck eggs.
    Very good GS! Been reading a few other posts and realised I am far to pissed to comment sensibly, I think I'll drink more, and look again in the morning

I'm Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Hi Blake,

Yes, it was the Aqvox I had in mind. It would be used with either an SME arm or a Breuer arm, both having their arm leads replaced with balanced-line cables terminated in Cannon XLR connectors. The Aqvox output would then run into either a Mark Levinson ML26 or 28 preamp, both of which are dual mono fully balanced designs.

Regarding cartridges, they would be EMT or Ortofon SPU, though I would like to try a Koetsu. Can the Aqvox be switched to MM mode, whilst still being balanced? - I like to use a Decca cartridge from time to time.

Thanks
    Hi Barry:

Balanced/Current Injection input on the Aqvox is MC only (high output or low output) so you'd have to go back to a single ended tonearm lead for the Decca. Huge performance difference IMO between the balanced and unbalanced inputs on the Aqvox although I've never used a MM with it.

I'd expect the EMT to work pretty well, but the SPU's and Koetsu line should be a stellar match with the Aqvox with their low impedances.

Thanks Blake.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast