+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMB's γ1 Miniature DAC Project

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by sponge View Post

There you have it

This little DAC sounds really nice and VERY close to the TC-7520 - Just how close I will report when I have done some comparison tests.
    But for now I'll just enjoy a couple of these and some quality listening...

Ken
    Thats well neat!

I like the options you get and making it available as two parts

If you think its close to your TC-7520 thats a bonus! close is certainly better than no where near.
    It looks to be the ideal portable companion

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    Thats well neat!

I like the options you get and making it available as two parts

If you think its close to your TC-7520 thats a bonus! close is certainly better than no where near.
    It looks to be the ideal portable companion
    Thanks Leo - Yes, it is a nice design and has quite useful options too.

I am guessing it wont need much burn-in as the sound doesn't seem to be changing at all. I will have another good listen tonight - It's always a good sign that a piece of equipment is good when you are looking forward to a listening session - And I am

Ken

OK, I have been doing a few comparison tests with my TC-7520 DAC with the following setup:

Squeezebox Classic Coax out -> 7520 Fixed line out -> M³ amp Input 1 -> AKG K701 cans.
    vs
    Squeezebox Classic Optical out -> γ1 -> M³ amp Input 2 -> AKG K701 cans.

First impression - 7520 has a higher output than the γ1, so volume has to be adjusted to even things up.
    Initially, the 7520 had a deeper bass than the γ1, but that has now changed with a few hours on the γ1's clock, and bass is much tighter and is now very close to the 7520.
    The mids and highs; well, I can't name a winner, the γ1 to my ears is a match for the Beresford. Clarity, soundstage and instrument location is spot on - Superb.

I have just been listening to some tracks on the computer via foobar2000 + asio4all and USB out into the γ1 and output to the Mini³ amp, and I have been grinning all the time - This little DAC doesn't put a foot wrong - The whole experience is addictive.

For anyone looking for a portable rig to pack with their laptop, you will do a lot worse than a γ1 and a Mini³ with your choice of phones.

Ken

I thought I would make an additional entry following the upgrade of my Beresford TC-7520. The upgrade was to swap the stock PCM1716 DAC chip to the Wolfson WM8716 DAC.

The comparison with the γ1 should be quite interesting now as the γ1 also uses a Wolfson DAC - The WM8501.

I will be using the Squeezebox Classic as source playing FLAC files. Coax out to the TC7520, Optical output to the γ1. Both DAC's are sending their output to my M³ headphone amp. so I can switch between the two. The M³ is driving either K701's or HD600's.

On first listen, there appears to be little to choose between the two DACs but I will do a more critical comparison and report back.

Ken

Thats interesting Ken, sounds like the y1 has turned out to be a nice little dac

I've started doing some modifications to a Duet receiver which also uses a WM8501, I'll start a thread soon.
    Cheers,
    Leo

sounds like the y1 has turned out to be a nice little dac

I've started doing some modifications to a Duet receiver which also uses a WM8501, I'll start a thread soon.
    I'll look forward to that Leo. Yes indeed the y1 punches well above it's weight. I have been doing some pretty intensive comparison listening, the upshot of which is:
    I'll be damned if I can tell any significant difference between the TC-7520 and the y1.

There does appear to be a "Wolfson sound" which to me is spacious, refined and smooth. The sound will not be to everyones tastes maybe - But it suits me fine.

The y1 as a portable rig coupled to a good quality Cmoy for example, playing off a laptop's USB, is quite a combination.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by sponge View Post
    But it suits me fine.

Ken

Thats the important thing mate

BTW that dac chip should be quite suited to driving headphones no probs.
    You can't beat it when a diy project gives you satisfying results , I've built loads of stuff now, not all have been successful
    Cheers,
    Leo

Thats the important thing mate

BTW that dac chip should be quite suited to driving headphones no probs.
    You can't beat it when a diy project gives you satisfying results , I've built loads of stuff now, not all have been successful
    You are spot on there Leo - Nothing quite like the experience of that first listen when you KNOW things are right . And I've been there myself with the "not so successful"

Ken

Just noticed on AMB's site - An enhanced version of the γ1 has been announced - Called the γ1 "full++", it is the same γ1 but with a USB-to-S/PDIF converter. This requires a new case and some hardwired links to the two boards, but the result is pretty nice. See it here:

http://www.amb.org/audio/gamma1/

Ken

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12