+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody into Classic Cars?!...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

What's a "Cat 6 write off '99" when it's at home, Dave?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Confused.

Hi Marco,
    According to my son, who is 'into' motors in a big way, a Cat 6 write off is a car (that has been damaged) that the insurance company have decided would be cheaper to write off than repair, even though repair is possible. In my case the car had been vandalised by having a burning rag tossed into the front passenger footwell after having that window smashed. The main wiring loom is centred in that area and the inside of the car looked like the bottom of a coal pit on a dark night, not to mention what the flames had done.
    The '99 bit refers to it's year of registration.
    You help me with audiophile matters and I'll try to help you with motor matters !!
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

LOL - interesting, Dave. First time I've heard of that term

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Think I've heard of that before - cars used to be "written off" if the cost of the repair was greater than the value of the car. Cat 6 is where that's not the case, but they write it off anyway because that's what we do these days, throw it away, buy a new one. <mild rant over>

Tom

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    LOL - interesting, Dave. First time I've heard of that term

Marco.
    There are various category's of 'right off', Marco. Ranging from damaged/repairable to completely f*cked!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm InSpace.

Just found this...

The ABI Categories of 'Write-Off'
    Category A: Scrap only - this vehicle should have been crushed. It should never reappear on the road and there are no economically salvageable parts. It is of value only for scrap metal - e.g. a totally burnt-out vehicle.
    Category B: The bodyshell should have been crushed. The vehicle should never reappear on the road, but it can be broken for spare parts plus any residual scrap metal.
    Category C: Vehicle extensively damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. The vehicle should have an independent inspection before being allowed back onto the road.
    Category D: Vehicle damaged and insurer has decided not to repair.
    Category F: Vehicle damaged by fire and insurer has decided not to repair
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Confused.

Thumbs up

Hi All,
    Mike, I stand corrected !!
    I may have had another 'Senior Moment' when referring to Cat 6 - based on your posting I guess mine would better be described as Cat F. Hope I haven't caused too much confusion - nothing worse than an 'expert' talking b---s !!
    DaveK.

My System:
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave&Sue View Post
    Hi All,
    nothing worse than an 'expert' talking b---s !!
    If your censored word refers to the male gonads, then I certainly have been guilty of this at times. If it refers to faeces taurii, then unless you regard this as semantic nit picking, I would say it is much more serious failing, as it suggests deliberate deceit. (sadly, I don't like Guinness, so I'll pretend it's a decent pint of Bass!)

Regards
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave&Sue View Post
    Hi All,
    Mike, I stand corrected !!
    I may have had another 'Senior Moment' when referring to Cat 6 - based on your posting I guess mine would better be described as Cat F. Hope I haven't caused too much confusion - nothing worse than an 'expert' talking b---s !!
    Ha-ha - See my post, made just a couple of hours ago.

It's here..............http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...6387#post46387

I'm Confused.

Thumbs up

Nice ones Chris, Ilike 'em !
    DaveK.

My System:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast