+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve's next turntable journey Pioneer PL-71

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The Dual's the same - run with patter off and it "kicks" two or three times per revolution.

The arm, if it's anything like the similar looking Rega R200, is what contributes to the "musicality" I reckon. That, and the solid plinth. You may find that the AT33PTG may just prefer a lighter headshell compared to the heavyweights tried on here - the imagery should be almost holographic with an AT.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The Dual's the same - run with patter off and it "kicks" two or three times per revolution.

The arm, if it's anything like the similar looking Rega R200, is what contributes to the "musicality" I reckon. That, and the solid plinth. You may find that the AT33PTG may just prefer a lighter headshell compared to the heavyweights tried on here - the imagery should be almost holographic with an AT.
    Others have said it looks similar to a Rega but then others have said it is not - can't recall where / when...

I tried a headshell mass inc of 3g and that was terrible. Put it back quick - ah lovely...

Sumiko and Achromat should arrive tomorrow - mini Christmas all over again
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Steve.

Default Achromat

No Sumiko headshell yet but the Funk Achromat 5mm mat did arrive.

A mate of mine came around - well into his vinyl and we had a test session.

To cut a long story short we both preferred the original Pioneer mat to the Funk one! Not what I expected at all.

We observed that mats do make quite a big difference to the sound.
    Mat swapping is so easy to do compared with most other hifi component or part comparisons.

The Funk one made gave more body to the music. Slightly deeper bass and a slightly darker tonal experience.
    Piano notes (take Oscar Peterson's Night train) did not trip off his box (that roxs) in so lively a fashion as the Pioneer mat could deliver.

There is a delicacy & subtlety to the presentation / tone of the notes using the Pioneer mat that could not be matched by the Funk.

Right, comparison of construction.
    Funk mat - 5mm thick seemingly hard all the way through, pretty rigid composite material.

Pioneer PL-71 mat. 5mm thick. 3 groups of 4 individually raised rings. Hard rubber / plastic with upper surface with slightly more tactile rubber base.
    Still pretty rigid compared to the Technics SL-1210 mat for example.

We tried a thick Rega? felt mat (also 5mm). That just muddied the sound - off with that pronto.

So my mat upgrade did not happen.

However on some pretty tinny recordings - The Who's Tommy or The Door's for example I preferred the slight dampening effect of the Funk mat.

For all else and we listened to stuff from Joni Mitchell to The Band, UFO to Chris Rea, Melody Gardot & of course Mt Peterson we both preferred the PL-71 mat hands down.

As for the deck in total - my mate was very impressed. So much so he said he would be looking out for one instead of upgrading from his nice Project deck / carbon arm to a Roksan something or other!

Hope the Sumiko headshell does better. I bet it is the SPU I fall in love with and have to sell the missus to get one

Pics

PL-71 original mat

Underside

All in the grooves? - hmm this baby needs a good clean!

Edge

Funk Achromat

Edge
    Last edited by Magna Audio; 23-05-2009 at 20:39. Reason: added pics
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy.steve View Post
    ....To cut a long story short we both preferred the original Pioneer mat to the Funk one! Not what I expected at all.
    Yep, been there as well...done that and got the T-shirt! I found the same with the Lenco, Garrard, SP10, SL120 etc....what I did find though was using a combination of the original mat and another one (as long as you can get the VTA correct) gave a slightly better sound. All good fun!
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Guys,

It's possible that Pioneer voiced the PL-71 with their own mat, or at least factored its effect into the equation, which would explain the results you've got. It strikes me that the PL-71 is a very 'sorted' design.

As far as SP10s and SL-1200/1210s go, I believe Guy's copper mat outperforms the stock rubber mat by a significant margin, and the Sound Hi-fi (Herbie's) mat does the same on the 1210 compared to the original mat.

Steve, you might want to try a Herbie's on the PL-71 just to finally make sure that the stock mat is the best. In my experience, the Herbie's outperforms most other mats I've used, so you never know. It would be good just to 'put it to bed' once and for all, as it were

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

I second the Sound Hi-Fi (Herbie's) mat recommendation. I was shocked at how much better it sounded than the stock rubber, Isoplatmat or felt mats I tried on the 1210.

I'm Steve.

Had a look on the Sound hifi site. There is one for the SL-12xx and one that is not priced yet - Is it the SL-12xx one or? I will contact them for guidance.

Re: the mat perhaps being tuned for the PL-71 - This could very much have been the case. they probably had a whole dept (back in the good ol' days) working on getting it just right.
    Honda had a whole site just for switch gear. Not sure if they can still afford that now.

I'm Steve.

Default My mates summation of the Saturday listening session

Thought I'd post this up as it sums up what we heard but in another's words.

"I was explaining the rubber mats to me bro yesterday evening while we
    were walking to the pub, also the Stax can being the best I've ever
    heard.

I said to him it was the Band's Brown Album that really did it for me.
    The whole sound was hung together so perfectly.

The Technics is a very good experiment to see how an arm like that
    will sound but it did lack the , I would say, emotional quality and
    not all together there on reflection. I was trying to explain it to
    the bro but failing as it's a feeling thingy. However. the Pioneer is
    a truly wonderful TT and worth every penny.
    I was also trying explain about the Oscar Peterson Night train and
    how the piano keys lightly tripped off of his fingers with Pioneers
    own mat, where as the sound got thicker and leadened with the
    Funk. But then I told him about the Who track and how the Funk
    tamed down the jangly guitar.

Crazy, crazy, crazy but fun all the same."

I'm Neal.

The SP10 mat is listed at 250 quid! And the 1210 at 90 quid, the price is buried in the text.

This stuff, cut to size and used in conjunction with the original mat works rather well..

http://www.practicalsurfaceware.com/...sories/CB5.htm
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    The SP10 mat is listed at 250 quid! And the 1210 at 90 quid, the price is buried in the text.

This stuff, cut to size and used in conjunction with the original mat works rather well..

http://www.practicalsurfaceware.com/...sories/CB5.htm
    I take it that you have used this on the SL-1210
    That's interesting - you never know quite what config of materials will work for what deck. Might give that a go...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast