+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trying to define 'The High End'

I'm Neil.

Bose is high-end...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Bob.

High end, bespoke, and all the other fancy terms which imply exclusivity are generally deployed by those concerned with boosting egos...

I'm Frank.

I don't like the term either but take it to mean the most extremely expensive kit, some of which is perhaps state of the art some of which is just for extracting cash.

Sadly in this hobby it is assumed that dearer = better which is certainly not necessarily true, but is pretty convincing to a lot of enthusiasts.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by f1eng View Post
    I don't like the term either but take it to mean the most extremely expensive kit, some of which is perhaps state of the art some of which is just for extracting cash.

Sadly in this hobby it is assumed that dearer = better which is certainly not necessarily true, but is pretty convincing to a lot of enthusiasts.
    So true, I'd rather listen to a pair of Royd Sapphires that retailed around £200 in the 90s than something like the B&W 802D at £11.5k, the former just sounding faster, more exciting and more musically convincing compared the the dry, clinical and slower B&W...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Tom.

The original meaning of "high end" was used to define exceptional performance with a commensurate price tag.

It has though been recently redefined by Ebay vendors who now try to flog any old crap from Amstrad upwards, much used these days in the same vein as "rare", "vintage" and "sort after" (SIC)

I'm Gone.

I just thought it meant anything imported by "Absolute Sounds"
    I have left AOS.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
    Barry

I'm Spartacus.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
    Actually it has more to do with The Absolute Sound and Harry Pearson. I suggest reading early copies of TAS (especially before the mid 1980s) to get some idea what this Americanism refers to. Even then it didn't mean high price.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duck View Post
    Actually it has more to do with The Absolute Sound and Harry Pearson. I suggest reading early copies of TAS (especially before the mid 1980s) to get some idea what this Americanism refers to. Even then it didn't mean high price.
    I used to have the first thirty or so issues of The Absolute Sound. I don't remember seeing any definition of "the high end" there. Neil (Dalek Supreme D L) has all copies now, so perhaps he could have a look?

Certainly, TAS discussed the upper end of audio scene with a fresh, challenging and questioning approach. For example they eschewed the, then, accepted standard of the Shure V15, in favour of the Ortofon SL15 and Decca cartridges. Sadly though the views expressed in TAS often came across as arrogant, with disparaging and reductive expressions such as "efforts" used to describe a designer's product. Harry Pearson might have had a way with words, but his opinions seemed to be taken as unquestionable; such was the hegemony of TAS.
    Barry

I'm Gone.

I seem to remember TAS being "High End" itself. Although rarely seen here, I remember it being sealed on WH Smith's shelves and carrying a big price premium because of the import prices! Pity I was too skint to indulge back on the day.

I got a handful of issues a while ago but I gave them to a mate to make room.
    I have left AOS.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast