+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to define 'The High End'

I'm ILOB.

Understand where you coming from Chris but it then suggest this might be the only path to good sounds. I am more intersed in how we get the best out of audio without having to spend crazy money and for me their are a number of ways to achieve that
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm fuckoff.

I think high end by itself is meaningless.

Its need the words performance/cost after it to have real context (to the person saying it at least).

For example, a diamond caked iPod is still mediocre performance at best but will cost a lot (high end cost).

Certain manufacturers boxes of tricks might look very matter of fact but the performance is excellent (how one classifies performance is not something I'm willing to go into here).

In George Orwell's booklet 'Politics and English language' he mentions the poor state of modern Language, how its full of generalisations that mean we don't have to think too hard about what we say (I only just discovered when this was written, I thought it was a commentary on the last decade ).

I'm ChrisB.

Those are valuable points Lawrence.
    That thing about exclusivity is odd isn't it? For Rolex, it's great to sell a load of pricey schmutter, but for some Rolex owners, it must seem like hordes of chavs being allowed to get into the members enclosure at Ascot! We can't have that old chap.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Understand where you coming from Chris but it then suggest this might be the only path to good sounds.
    No John, I'm the last person to suggest that chucking money at it is the only way to get an excellent sound from gear. I'd like to discuss quality for the moment and then talk about prices of things later

I am more intersed in how we get the best out of audio without having to spend crazy money and for me their are a number of ways to achieve that
    Yep, me too.

I'm ILOB.

Define quality then Chris. Is it cost based, sound based, looks based or how long it will last or a combination of these factors.
    For instance I think something like the Bantam Gold or Bushmaster is a quality product but not high end!
    I also think the best system I heard has been high end. But heard systems at a 10th of the price that give it a close run
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm paul.

High end is an American retail business target sector label that has become a phrase used primarily by Manufacturers and press to denote products of Quality .
    As others have said in reality it means nothing more than top of our range . Audio is not the only afflicted area ,just go shopping in harrods everything is high end even the £50 a tube toothpaste, is it better? decide for yourselves

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    It would seem, therefore, that the dictionaries have a similar difficulty with tweezing the concept of price away from that of ability.

My own feeling is that it's entirely a matter of perspective. High End audio gear to someone whose sole source of music is a £50 mp3 player would probably be viewed as rather mundane kit to the likes of the average AoS member. However, in the hi-fi fraternity, the high end might be something that those people don't have an inkling even exists.
    So it's probably really just what we used to call 'hi-fi'!

Any thoughts?
    I agree that high end really just means hifi, which is probably why hifi manufacturers and the hifi press are constantly coming up with new terms, such as 'flagship' and 'statement product' for stuff that costs way in excess of most people could (or would want to) afford; speakers costing £50,000 and more, for example. These are often no more than a way for someone with lots of money to show just how much money they've got; the old 'mug's eyeful' in other words, as the link between price and performance is irrelevant above a certain level.

And those of us who can't afford them quite like reading about them, if only for the unintended humour of a £50,000 speaker being referred to by the likes of Roy Gregory as 'something of a bargain'.

I'm ILOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    And those of us who can't afford them quite like reading about them, if only for the unintended humour of a £50,000 speaker being referred to by the likes of Roy Gregory as 'something of a bargain'.
    Lol

I'm paul.

I would say though that we are actually quite lucky as the hifi industry seems to be full of enthusiastic individuals that have most likely been inspired by the wool pulling tactics of the big manufacturers and press to go and do it themselves . Hence the hifi world is full of great small companies making what is simply the best product they can produce with little thought to marketing labels, people who seem to have a real pride in their customers enjoyment of their product (lots of them post on here) try buying a car from a company with that ethos
    Paul

I'm ILOB.

Well said Paul I would agree with that

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast