+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Trying to define 'The High End'

I'm Peter.

If I may be allowed to consider this from a marketer's perspective, then I suppose that for the general public, 'the high end' is a market segment comprising people who seek to own what is perceived as the best of everything. They are brand-conscious, and fill their houses with 'valued' products. They get satisfaction knowing they have bought 'the best'. They may not be super-rich, but they will spend to/beyond their limit to acquire their object of desire. When buying sound systems, I guess they will often buy the best B&O or Bose, or for the few who are 'into' stereos it'd be top of the range Linn, Naim, McIntosh, Rowland etc ... stuff that looks the part ... and has the price tag. If you buy into that perspective, product performance has to be good, but maybe not wholly exceptional, as it is the brand they buy into. They know that top brand + top price = top sound. They won't undertake much product comparison pre-purchase, but will look for third-part affirmation post purchase.

On the other hand, IMO the hifi hobbyist high end is a strange place where the brand catalogue has been defined by self-proclaimed 'opinion leaders' like Harry P / TAS in the States and maybe certain writers, mags and importers here. IMO it is about price, scarcity and exclusivity. It's the collector looking for that 'ultimate' piece .. the pride of ownership. They are looking for guidance and affirmation from their peer-group of hobbyists. For instance, they will seek out a forum of like-minded individuals, who share the same values and beliefs as they do, and seek affirmation there ...

MartinT Guest

I don't think the general public have any concept of Hi-Fi High End. They may think that Bose and B&O are at the top echelon of Hi-Fi, but that is only because they don't know the market at all well. No more than I would know what the best super-high quality carbon frame bicycle is because I don't understand cycling.

I don't agree that High End can be defined in marketing terminology. It's an absolute statement of sound quality.

I'm ILOB.

I am not sure about the absolute statement of sound quality I certainly think its aspirational but really great quality sounds are not always due to high end products but sometimes sensitive matching and careful research. For instance the only bit of equipment I own that might be considered high end is my TT although I would see it a more bespoke product. The resolution I get would challenge most high end systems and its up that even more with the new DAC
    I totally agree most people on the outside would consider B&O as high end
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

MartinT Guest

I think you might be confusing my 'absolute statement of quality' with pricing/market position, John, which is what I am arguing against.

I'll counter with a product I think may not be seen as high end because it doesn't have the price ticket or cachet: the Beresford Bushmaster Mk. II DAC. However, I think it is very much high end and certainly competes performance-wise in that sector.

I'm ILOB.

Ahhh sorry Martin get were you coming from
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm ChrisB.

I think you're spot on Martin - it's about performance but it's been appropriated by some as a justification for ambitious price tags.

I'm Steve.

Hi end = loadsa money.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345