+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arkless Phono stage

I'm Hesketh.

Default Arkless Phono stage

Well, I have just sent in relay fashion Jez Arkless's demonstration unit modified Cambridge Audio phono stage. It cost me thick end of ten quid to do so but it was only the price of three pints of Guinness i suppose. My findings, well, mostly positive. I used it firstly with my Lenco supporting an Ortofon 2M Blue mm cartridge. I had to make a few phone calls to Jez to make sure that i had the device properly set up for mm and once i did get it ironed out i played a few trcks from Dire Straits second album Comminique. My memory of the stock CA phono stage was it's lack of depth and punch. Not so with the Arkless mod. There seemed to be more drive and detail and mark Knopfler's guitar seemed to stand proud of the speakers and cymbals shimmered as they should giving an almost live feel to them. very impressive for a phono stage of it's price both modified and unmodified. However, it was only when i swiched to using the phono stage with my Kontrapunkt B mc that i realised just how good the modified version really does start to sing. I was gobsmacked at just how good it is.
    Playing the Dire Straits tracks again it was as if another layer had been taken away from the recording revealing even more nuances of percussion and leading edge of guitars and drums. I then played the best of the Doors enjoying all four sides before changing genre and spun the new album by Magenta (the 27 club) in it's entirity.
    Changing back to my EE Minimax brought about a lot more culture to the proceedings and widened the soundstage a tad. Not really a fair comparison i hear you say. But i do have to say that musically the Arkless CA was snapping uncomfortably close to the heels of the Minimax in terms of fun and the toe tapping factor. Does it have PRAT? indeedly doodly, in spades.
    Anyone wanting a phono stage that plays music without taking out a mortgage would do well to get on the list of recipients for a trial run.

Fors............. Highly musical, detailed with a fair punch

Againsts....... Fiddly to set up. Not the most attractive piece of kit unless you get the silver finish.

I must admit i was sad to pass it on to the next punter. I was very sceptical to be honest, however my few days spent with this phono stage changed my opinion. A pretty safe buy methinks.
    Last edited by The Outcast; 18-09-2013 at 07:24.
    People turn to poison quick as lager turns to piss.

I'm David.

Mine is most definitely a keeper. It has added a new dimension to my listening pleasure.

I'm Stuart.

Appreciate the review Hesketh!

I am just getting back into vinyl and wondering what my first/second phono stage choices should be...

Stu
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm ChrisB.

Hesketh, I've moved this thread over to Strokes of Genius, as it's a review and SOG is where such things belong.

I'm Hesketh.

OK Chris. Nee bother. I will know for next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Hesketh, I've moved this thread over to Strokes of Genius, as it's a review and SOG is where such things belong.

I'm ChrisB.

SOG - Strokes of Genius

From the AoS main menu page:

Strokes of Genius
    Tell us of any fantastic tweaks, free or otherwise, which have transformed your system. Also post reviews of equipment and ancillaries.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
    Well, I have just sent in relay fashion Jez Arkless's demonstration unit modified Cambridge Audio phono stage. It cost me thick end of ten quid to do so but it was only the price of three pints of Guinness i suppose. My findings, well, mostly positive. I used it firstly with my Lenco supporting an Ortofon 2M Blue mm cartridge. I had to make a few phone calls to Jez to make sure that i had the device properly set up for mm and once i did get it ironed out i played a few trcks from Dire Straits second album Comminique. My memory of the stock CA phono stage was it's lack of depth and punch. Not so with the Arkless mod. There seemed to be more drive and detail and mark Knopfler's guitar seemed to stand proud of the speakers and cymbals shimmered as they should giving an almost live feel to them. very impressive for a phono stage of it's price both modified and unmodified. However, it was only when i swiched to using the phono stage with my Kontrapunkt B mc that i realised just how good the modified version really does start to sing. I was gobsmacked at just how good it is.
    Playing the Dire Straits tracks again it was as if another layer had been taken away from the recording revealing even more nuances of percussion and leading edge of guitars and drums. I then played the best of the Doors enjoying all four sides before changing genre and spun the new album by Magenta (the 27 club) in it's entirity.
    Changing back to my EE Minimax brought about a lot more culture to the proceedings and widened the soundstage a tad. Not really a fair comparison i hear you say. But i do have to say that musically the Arkless CA was snapping uncomfortably close to the heels of the Minimax in terms of fun and the toe tapping factor. Does it have PRAT? indeedly doodly, in spades.
    Anyone wanting a phono stage that plays music without taking out a mortgage would do well to get on the list of recipients for a trial run.

Fors............. Highly musical, detailed with a fair punch

Againsts....... Fiddly to set up. Not the most attractive piece of kit unless you get the silver finish.

I must admit i was sad to pass it on to the next punter. I was very sceptical to be honest, however my few days spent with this phono stage changed my opinion. A pretty safe buy methinks.
    Thanks for the great review there Outcast!

My only comments are that I can't see how it's fiddly to set up.... plug arm cable in, connect arm earth lead, plug interconnect to preamp in, plug PSU in.... just the same as any other phono stage!? The demo unit has a MM/MC switch... as do many other units, and loading plugs can be plugged in the back, which is probably less fiddly than setting the micro size switches used for loading in many other units....

I have found most of my customers prefer the appearance of the black unit but that's a matter of personal choice of course.... or indeed which colour becomes available on the bay!

It's always been the case with the demo unit that the last person to try it posts it on to the next at their own expense. That way you only ever pay one lot of postage. You're actually the first person to comment on that!

Cheers H, glad you enjoyed it!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Hesketh.

I'm just a winging old git Jez. On the whole it was a great bit of kit and the majority of my comments are positive. I can see myself having one in the not too distant future. Silver, methinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Thanks for the great review there Outcast!

My only comments are that I can't see how it's fiddly to set up.... plug arm cable in, connect arm earth lead, plug interconnect to preamp in, plug PSU in.... just the same as any other phono stage!? The demo unit has a MM/MC switch... as do many other units, and loading plugs can be plugged in the back, which is probably less fiddly than setting the micro size switches used for loading in many other units....

I have found most of my customers prefer the appearance of the black unit but that's a matter of personal choice of course.... or indeed which colour becomes available on the bay!

It's always been the case with the demo unit that the last person to try it posts it on to the next at their own expense. That way you only ever pay one lot of postage. You're actually the first person to comment on that!

Cheers H, glad you enjoyed it!

+ Reply to Thread