+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ortofon or Denon ?

I'm Shaun.

Default Ortofon or Denon ?

Current turntable: Modified Project RPM-4 with standard aluminium tonearm not carbon fibre.
    Current cartridge: Ortofon OM30 Super

Question: Ortofon OM40 stylus upgrade or Denon DL-103 with additional arm weight.

The current effective mass of the tonearm is 12g but I have a small headshell weight that I could add for more mass. I have an mc/mm phono stage but if I go the route of the OM40 stylus, my intention would be to buy at the end of the year a Graham Slee Era Gold V.

Your thoughts please...?

I'm Neal.

OM40 is the safer bet. Think you'll end up going down a rat hole with the 103 on the standard arm IMHO. However, as a test, load up the cartridge end of the arm with the combined weight of the 103 and additional headshell weight and see if you can balance out the arm and get the tracking force to the recommended 2.5g... most likely you'll need to add weight to the arm to balance it...what loading can you use with your MC stage? I'd recommend 5 to 10x the 103 impedance of 40R so between 200 to 400R loading...
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Clive.

Ortofon OM40 would be my recommendation.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Jim.

Om40

The DL-103 can, as mentioned, open a can of worms. Said can can be quite nice if it all works out... But the Ortofon is as close to a sure thing as you can get.

I'm Shaun.

Many thanks for your comments. I thought the OM40 would be the best bet to be honest so that is the way my plans were going.

I'm Jez.

The spherical stylus of the 103 is a big no no for me. Bad end of side distortion and treble that's not all it might be... The versions with the elliptical stylus are a big improvement.

Phono stage wise check this out:http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...d.php?t=126877

Yes I produce them.... I think you may find all the user reviews interesting
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread