+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Bushmaster Mk. II (TC-7533)

MartinT Guest

Default Bushmaster Mk. II (TC-7533)

I've got my BM Mk. II up and running tonight after having a quick listen to the original BM as a reminder of its sound. I took the time to readjust my Paul Hynes power supply down from 16V to 15V on Stan's advice. Otherwise, it looks the part and I prefer its aspect ratio (wider than it is deep) compared with the old model. It also looks excellent in silver finish and is well built.

Very first impressions from stone cold are an immediate step up in dynamics, the only area of weakness I felt in the original BM. Leading edges are more noticeable and it has an overall greater sense of clout on dynamic material. Trying out all the inputs and that quality of sound remains, even with broadcast material from Sky Arts. All the other BM merits are still in place: great detail in a wide and deep soundstage and deep bass extension. if it sounds this good now, it should improve further over the course of the next week.

You should know that I have Stan's special I2S clocking firmware in my BM (which is now used in the Mk. II), so I didn't really expect much of an improvement to be honest. It's clear that Stan has worked his magic elsewhere (we know about his work in the power supply area) and may well have further improved the firmware. One other noticeable improvement is how quickly it syncs to a new input. There was always a slight hesitation with the old model; this one is virtually instant.

So far so very good. This DAC range continues to be excellent value for money and sounds a lot more expensive than it is.

I'm Neil.

Nice review Martin.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

Default Bushmaster MKII and sBooster

I just wish to remind the owners of the Bushmaster MKII that the sBooster is not required. The MKII already has the DC Linearizer LNF built in, which is significantly superior in performance to the sBooster.
    So don't waste your money.

You can instead invest in say a 12Volt battery pack like the one listed at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unique-12V...item461250d6a8

But other 12Volts battery packs are also available. You can fit a 2.1mm DC plug flylead to a battery. I am trying to source a quantity of a high quality wired 2.1mm DC plug so that I can offer one that I know will be the correct one to use with a battery pack.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I just wish to remind the owners of the Bushmaster MKII that the sBooster is not required. The MKII already has the DC Linearizer LNF built in, which is significantly superior in performance to the sBooster.
    So don't waste your money.
    Is it a fair assumption (or not) that for those of us who already have an sBooster (I've actually got a MG all-in-one linear PSU+sBooster) that with the new on-board DC Linearizer noise should be even lower? Or, is it the case that the on-board Linearizer filters so much there is nothing left for an sBooster to filter and there would be no additional benefit however small?

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Neal.

Mine has arrived, thank you Stan. For those interested here are some side by side photos...

Fit and finish seem excellent, the new icons and layout is very easy on the eye and I'm liking the silver finish as well.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Is it a fair assumption (or not) that for those of us who already have an sBooster (I've actually got a MG all-in-one linear PSU+sBooster) that with the new on-board DC Linearizer noise should be even lower? Or, is it the case that the on-board Linearizer filters so much there is nothing left for an sBooster to filter and there would be no additional benefit however small?
    I have published test results in another thread that showed the measurements I took from the sbooster, Mark Grant, and Lurcher PSU. I also showed measurements with and without the DC Linearizer.
    The sBooster is external. The DC Linearizer is internal. The sbooster filters down to about 20mV. the DC Linearizer filters down to 1mV.
    I am not stopping anyone from buying an sbooster for use with the Bushmaster MKII. But you won't get a single bit of improvement with it on a MKII. The only way you are going to get an improvement is to use a 12V battery or a Mark Grant or lurcher linear PSU.

I'm Stephen.

Thanks for the clarification Stan - that's clear and really helpful. I have one of the MG "best of 2 worlds" solutions - a linear PSU and integral sBooster so I guess I will stick with it for the linear PSU benefit.
    Steve
    Always a little further

MartinT Guest

Seeing those rear panels reminds me: I must connect the ground terminal up again as I remember there was a small improvement the last time I did that.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Seeing those rear panels reminds me: I must connect the ground terminal up again as I remember there was a small improvement the last time I did that.
    Where do you connect the ground terminal to Martin? Do you have a separate earth outlet beside your mains or do you connect to your preamp's chassis?

MartinT Guest

I connect to the preamp's earth post, which ultimately comes from the mains.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast