+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All CD players sound the same........

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

With modern gear - and I mean that made in the last five years or thereabouts, you could say the DACs sound the same - I mean the CHIPS! What will affect the sonics is the power supply and any analogue output buffer fitted. The fact that many domestic CD players have in the past been very inferior to pro DACs often costing thousands, makes me wonder if some penny-pinching or just plain incompetance isn't to blame why domestic players of old sound so different?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nobody.

My early 1st generation machines sound different to the more modern ones i have. 1st gens everytime for me.

I'm John.

Well I have got four players of varying ages and specs, they all sound completely different from each other, so I cannot agree.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by kenworthy100 View Post
    Well I have got four players of varying ages and specs, they all sound completely different from each other, so I cannot agree.
    er.... did you read what I said??

I'm John.

Uhm, not my brightest post!!!. Sorry

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    With modern gear - and I mean that made in the last five years or thereabouts, you could say the DACs sound the same - I mean the CHIPS! What will affect the sonics is the power supply and any analogue output buffer fitted. The fact that many domestic CD players have in the past been very inferior to pro DACs often costing thousands, makes me wonder if some penny-pinching or just plain incompetance isn't to blame why domestic players of old sound so different?
    Agreed almost 100% Dave.
    If the hobbyists can import a cheap chinese DAC, make a few mods to the board and power supply for a minor sum and produce a high quality player, with no economies of scale to assist, it is rather scary....

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by kenworthy100 View Post
    Uhm, not my brightest post!!!. Sorry
    Well I would jolly well think you should be

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12