+ Reply to Thread
Page 503 of 611 FirstFirst ... 3403453493501502503504505513553603 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,030 of 6103

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    All very well, but it won't work when every man and his dog has an ev, unless the powers-that-be pull their finger out re. charging stations. And you know the gov's incentive won't be making evs more affordable, but rather to price petrol car ownership beyond ordinary folks' means.
    Petrol and diesel cars really ought to be phased out as soon as possible - the environmental factors are considerable.
    I do not really miss the smell of petrol or diesel - did I ever sniff it in while down at the pump? [Glue sniffers anonymous watch out!]. Given the rate of progress, I can see a sensible transition to alternative motive power via plug-in hybrids, though that would depend on how they actually work.

One thing I don't know about the plug-in hybrids is whether they work totally on electric power for (say) 30 miles, or whether they work with a power combined from the ICE and the batteries. Also, if working on ICE, do those also generate spare power to charge the battery for (say) 30 miles?

For example: one scenario for a plug-in hybrid.

1. First 30 miles - EV only. 2. Next 50 miles petrol only. 3. Next 150 miles petrol, but also recharge the batteries up to a 30 mile capacity. 4a. Next 50 miles - petrol only but no battery charging OR 4b. Next 30 miles battery only followed by the final 20 miles on petrol only.

A scenario like that would have advantages for long range travel in regions where charging was sparse or unreliable. In the example above, at step 4 - the user might be given a choice depending on whether charging points were available at the destination or not. If they were then, it would be better environmentally to have an almost empty battery at the destination with no ICE use, but that might increase risks depending on whether petrol/diesel or charging points were available at or near the destination.

I am still unsure about the possible role of hydrogen as a fuel for cars. Environmentally it's damaging if it's not produced in a sustainable way, and there are hardly any hydrogen based cars available. However if hydrogen is available, then I believe that recharging might be easier than electric charging. Also note that the more powerful EVs have considerably more power than most other cars, including many petrol cars - though in the limit petrol heads who like power and burning fossil fuel can still produce and use cars with more power than EVs.
    Dave

I'm Martin.

I always liked the smell of petrol.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Petrol and diesel cars really ought to be phased out as soon as possible - the environmental factors are considerable.
    I do not really miss the smell of petrol or diesel - did I ever sniff it in while down at the pump? [Glue sniffers anonymous watch out!]. Given the rate of progress, I can see a sensible transition to alternative motive power via plug-in hybrids, though that would depend on how they actually work.

One thing I don't know about the plug-in hybrids is whether they work totally on electric power for (say) 30 miles, or whether they work with a power combined from the ICE and the batteries. Also, if working on ICE, do those also generate spare power to charge the battery for (say) 30 miles?

For example: one scenario for a plug-in hybrid.

1. First 30 miles - EV only. 2. Next 50 miles petrol only. 3. Next 150 miles petrol, but also recharge the batteries up to a 30 mile capacity. 4a. Next 50 miles - petrol only but no battery charging OR 4b. Next 30 miles battery only followed by the final 20 miles on petrol only.

A scenario like that would have advantages for long range travel in regions where charging was sparse or unreliable. In the example above, at step 4 - the user might be given a choice depending on whether charging points were available at the destination or not. If they were then, it would be better environmentally to have an almost empty battery at the destination with no ICE use, but that might increase risks depending on whether petrol/diesel or charging points were available at or near the destination.

I am still unsure about the possible role of hydrogen as a fuel for cars. Environmentally it's damaging if it's not produced in a sustainable way, and there are hardly any hydrogen based cars available. However if hydrogen is available, then I believe that recharging might be easier than electric charging. Also note that the more powerful EVs have considerably more power than most other cars, including many petrol cars - though in the limit petrol heads who like power and burning fossil fuel can still produce and use cars with more power than EVs.
    What about the environmental issues of battery production?

My PHEV has the ability to charge the battery using the ICE, but it burns more fuel in doing so. Not exactly environmentally friendly.
    If going on a long journey, the SatNav can be programmed, and the battery usage is saved for the most appropriate times, like going through towns and villages.

In Europe, Ionity have recently changed their pricing to €0.79/min. This makes charging the average EV more expensive than refilling the tank of an ICE. Not great news for the EV.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I always liked the smell of petrol.
    I knew a guy who sniffed Trichlorethylene. It killed him!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I knew a guy who sniffed Trichlorethylene. It killed him!
    it would do that in quantity. its a banned substance now. acetone is pretty strong too; a bit like poppers im told although i wouldnt know.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    What about the environmental issues of battery production?

My PHEV has the ability to charge the battery using the ICE, but it burns more fuel in doing so. Not exactly environmentally friendly.
    If going on a long journey, the SatNav can be programmed, and the battery usage is saved for the most appropriate times, like going through towns and villages.

In Europe, Ionity have recently changed their pricing to €0.79/min. This makes charging the average EV more expensive than refilling the tank of an ICE. Not great news for the EV.
    phevs are great if you only do low daily mileages for majority of time. you can rarely ever use the engine. i have heard a couple of folk using them that had to put stuff in tank to rejouvinate their petrol as it wasnt getting used.
    im getting a full bev, but judging by way things are going it might be a while in coming. i think the dealer keeps selling mine to retail customers to make more money.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

In the colder weather, I start my morning commute on the ICE so that the car is warm, and the windows are clear.
    The battery won’t do the full distance now that it is cold and dark.

I have a friend who has an Ampera. It was -22 deg C where he is the other day, and the car would not let him drive electric only, until it was warmer. I am not sure how a BEV will cope with that?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    In the colder weather, I start my morning commute on the ICE so that the car is warm, and the windows are clear.
    The battery won’t do the full distance now that it is cold and dark.

I have a friend who has an Ampera. It was -22 deg C where he is the other day, and the car would not let him drive electric only, until it was warmer. I am not sure how a BEV will cope with that?
    It has battery heaters I think. You heat it all up before you unplug and go.
    That's my understanding, but you need a home charger I think.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ben.

Bought this rather lovely old triumph speed triple last weekend. One owner from new, great condition still standard and not messed about with, 14k, loads of service history.

Should provide plenty of summer smiles next year. IMG_20211205_131015.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Grant.

very nice bike... is that the 1200cc
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread