+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 611 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136536 ... LastLast

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Martin.

Bloke who lives near me has a Soarer. Rare care that is.

Yes, the thing about the LS400 is that they are old enough to be self-maintainable. They were designed and built to better the Mercedes E series. Statement level Japanese engineering, those boys don't muck about.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If I had a car and could travel around the country at will do you realise how much hi-fi kit I would accumulate?
    You could become another Audio Al.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Ugly as sin? Really?

Yup, soz. I know why you like it, but for me, it's a 'double-bag job'. Big, bulky, old-fashioned, nondescript Japanese box. Completely unsexy, but I guess that's not the point. Looks like something a 70s 'man from C&A', with beige slacks and sideburns would drive, which is probably why you like it!

Hear ya, about your driving licence, I think that would also put me off a tad!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

'Man At C&A' LOL - yes I know where you're coming from. I like flash cars but wouldn't drive one myself. I prefer the anonymity of something like that Lexus. Still a high quality car but under the radar for most punters.
    Current Lash Up:

Indeed, and it's BEIGE, no doubt just like the driver's trousers (and C&A Y-fronts underneath)!

Nah, I like something sporty and 'distinctive'. I dislike the word "flash", as I don't buy nice cars for that reason, simply to provide the fun-factor I enjoy. Because cars, for me, shouldn't just be homogenised, nondescript boxes to transport you mundanely from A to B, but give you a thrill and 'sense of anticipation' every time you get behind the wheel.

I enjoy some excitement, as life's too short to inhabit boredomville!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

I'm not so much into high top-speeds, as you can't use them in this country (or virtually any country) on public roads. It's all about *how* a car gets to 70/80mph - on the right road, and so acceleration and the way the car 'feels' when you're driving it, is what is important to me, as that's where the fun factor lies!

Marco.
    How come you bought a dirty diesel with a boat anchor up front then?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Lol... Boat anchor? You've lost me there

Dirty diesel? Haha... We've been here before Also, remember that any car I drive must have *some* in-built economy and practicality!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Alan.

Default Whaaaay

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I enjoy some excitement, as life's too short for it to be boring!!
    Have to agree with that. I do drive a very boring box on wheels which is both reliable and economical, which I appreciate, so I get my excitement elsewhere:

It's a bit like a bike but without the wheels really
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Martin.

Certainly no issue with traffic jams when you're driving one of those.
    Current Lash Up:

Yeah that's quality, Alan - defo what you call thrilling!

What happens when you're up there and need a wee - do you just unzip your wee weiner and let it go?

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread