+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 609 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Isn't the cost of insurance etc. on three vehicles prohibitive Geoff? Why not just have one that does all you need it to do?
    My renewal quote, due next week is £1500. the Suzuki Ignis sells this morning which will bring the cost down. Still around £1000 I guess, due to the high rated postcode (and the thieving, vandalisng, accident prone and uninsured scumbags around here, no doubt). The van is useful and the VW estate is the family car.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by joey View Post
    this is my other car which rarley comes out the garage, is a mk1 golf convertible
    There's a bit fallen off! I can see it on the floor.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Buffet-blower.

Hers: Skoda Fabia 1.2 HTP
    His: Peugeot 107, Honda CBR1100 Blackbird

We've had a few 'nice' cars over the years but have come to the conclusion that all we need is a tin box for carrying people/stuff around in. We certainly won't buy another diesel car - chatting to an old friend of ours (ex-Head Technician at a Mercedes main dealer some years ago) he stated that modern diesels are turning into 'ticking time bombs' and he certainly wouldn't buy one. Older ones (pre-DPF/DMF etc) are loads better.

Our little cars are cheap to run, both have chain-driven cam engines, and fulfil our needs perfectly. The 107 is a proper giggle to drive too and surprisingly able on long journeys.

The Blackbird - I've had this for 7 years now, the longest I've owned a bike in 32 years' riding. It's done 79000 miles, runs like a Swiss watch, is beautifully built, and still goes like the clappers. I really cannot think of what I'd replace it with...

Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Geoff.

I agree about modern diesels. Getting more complex by the day. That's why I want to hang onto my Golf 1.9D.

Yes, the Blackbird is a fine bike. Too big for me though.

Here's my last bike:

A 'mere' GS500. But a useful tool.

I'm george.

I wish...
    belongs to my bro in Florida, he even uses a trailer with it when travelling to gigs

I'm Paul.

My current car

My favourite car

What happened to my favourite car

Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post

What happened to my favourite car
    Ouch. What flavour GTI was it Paul, 1.6 or 1.9?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Ouch. What flavour GTI was it Paul, 1.6 or 1.9?
    1.9 and it went like 'beep' off a shovel!!
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    1.9 and it went like 'beep' off a shovel!!
    Friend had a chipped 1.9 309 GTI, used to scare the life out of me

I'm Alex.

In Andre`s other thread, I alluded to my miserable but character-building early history of car ownership. Here are the edited low-lights (and the odd highlight amid the misery) for your enjoyment.

Fiat 500 £15.
    Broken seat runners allowed sit in the back seat (I'm 6'7"). Navy blue, no rust. Broken exhaust manifold stud fixed by me for a fiver - god, I loved this car.. My mum wrote it off a week after I fixed it.

Renault 4 - £25
    A rusty deathtrap. Drivers side sliding window would drop into your lap if you hit a bump going around a corner. Ciggie lighter got stuck and melted out of the dash, and I found it on hanging by the wires on fire. Windscreen wipers fell off twice, brakes failed twice, engine detonated firing the dipstick through the bonnet due to petrol explosion in sump. Hand painted in dulux white gloss with skull and crossbones on the bonnet. Good for scareing BMW drivers. No starter motor, so every trip began with a push-start. Incredibly, someone was stupid enough to steal it!

Mk.1 astra estate - free
    190k miles, repaired write-off (whole rear of body smashed flat to the floorpan. Electrically haunted - using the rear wash wipe would allow the engine to carry on running when the keys we're taken out of the ignition.
    the horn would sound randomly on its own, would sometimes sound for 5 mins or more, making a sound like a dying goat, which got me some funny looks. Total collapse of the rear suspension, carrying eight people. Front wheel fell off. Also stolen!

Renault 5 GT Turbo.
    A total disaster. Rebuilt engine with big valve head, hybrid turbo, bigger intercooler, electronic boost controller and about 1.3-1.4bar boost producing about 160bhp (a lot in a 850kg car). Wheelspin in 4th gear in the wet and quite scary!. Gearboxes and driveshafts were replaced more often than the engine oil. Constant breakdowns, engine bay fires, turbo failures but god, I loved it when it ran, but that was far, far too infrequently. I wasted a fortune on this car.. What on earth was I thinking?.

Subaru Impreza turbo bought new
    I absolutely loved this car. Link ECU, hybrid turbo, AP racing brakes and prodrive suspension.Utterly dependable and fabulous to drive across
    country. I ran it for eight years, and still miss the flat four rumble now.

Now - Mercedes E320CDI estate and mk1. Focus Zetec shed for the au-pair.

The focus is progressively being demolished by a sucession of au pairs, but is simple, fun to drive and has never had more problems than a blown tail light. It refuses to die.

Mercedes E320CDI was bought new. It is the duresta sofa of cars, but suits me when I feel lazy and can be suprisingly fun if you hoof it. Now starting to go wrong expensively wrong, so time for something new...

Very tempted currently by a black 2006 SL55AMG in a dealer showroom. It looks to be in immaculate condition, and the dealer doesn't want to part with it as he has been running it for the summer. It could be the next instalment of my largely disastrous car ownership, and to hear it is to want it. It screams mid-life crisis, and it will undoubtably end up in tears.We shall see...

Cheers,
    Alex
    Last edited by AlexM; 08-09-2013 at 00:38. Reason: don`t write long posts on a mobile phone!
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

+ Reply to Thread